Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

I want to protest Jpod101 for deleting my feedback!

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

watermen
Expert on Something

I want to protest Jpod101 for deleting my feedback!

Postby watermen » April 8th, 2008 3:16 am

In today lesson, newbie 69, there are some example with 100% romaji and no corresponding kanji or kana. I brought this out because I find it difficult to read with only 100% romaji, why is my feedback being deleted! I did not break any protocol or used any vulgar words, it is not right for you all to do that! How could you all do this to your subscriber here!

Jpod101 is not supposed to delete feedback you all don't like! You all are supposed to listen what everyone has to say! Besides that I am giving a feedback for you all to improve the PDF files.

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » April 9th, 2008 1:45 am

the kana and kanji have been added to the pdf.

i only deleted your comments because you and another user were fighting. i explained this to you privately - and thanked you for your input - but since you seem to want to bring this all out into the open, then so be it.

we want this site to be a fun community, but when people fight, it's not fun. in general, we have a policy of not deleting any message in the comments section or forum section. (other sites will fully moderate all comments, chinesepod for example). we do not. but if users are fighting, we will delete those for the betterment of the community. your first post triggered another user's comments, so i made a judgement call that it was best to just delete all the related messages so there was chance of the negativity flaring up again. i want everybody to get along here and have a blast learning japanese. 8)

marky
Last edited by markystar on April 9th, 2008 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

Get 40% OFF
kitty-chan
Established Presence

Postby kitty-chan » April 9th, 2008 1:50 am

Watermen, your post is not a Lesson Suggestion. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Jpod101 is not supposed to delete feedback you all don't like!

Is this a rule? I never saw that written anywhere. :roll: :roll: :roll:

sTeVe aUsTiN
Been Around a Bit

Postby sTeVe aUsTiN » April 9th, 2008 2:17 am

Kitty-chan is right, actually. If you look at the Registration Terms of Agreement it says this:

You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit.

So, the fact that Marky-sensei contacted you privately AND said "thank you" is pretty cool. Most sites will delete negative comments and fighting and never say anything to you -- or worse yet, ban you. Unless you really hate JPOD (which I don't think you do), wouldn't it be better to e-mail them directly instead of whining in public forums? I think most people are going to side with Marky-sensei on this one.

Just my 2 Yens.

sTeVe aUsTiN
Been Around a Bit

Postby sTeVe aUsTiN » April 9th, 2008 2:18 am

is it 2 Yens or 2 Yen? :lol:

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Re: I want to protest Jpod101 for deleting my feedback!

Postby Jason » April 9th, 2008 5:21 pm

watermen wrote:Jpod101 is not supposed to delete feedback you all don't like! You all are supposed to listen what everyone has to say! Besides that I am giving a feedback for you all to improve the PDF files.

We have the right to protect our community as we see fit. You're not the first person to have a comment deleted. It's even happened to me. Don't take it so personally. It's very shameful for you to bring this out publicly after Marky tried to deal with you privately and respectfully. What did you hope to accomplish by posting this here? Drum up support to "overthrow the evil JPod101 overlords." :?

Don't post something like this in my forum again. You'll find me much less forgiving than Marky towards people who threaten our community that we've all, staff and listener alike, worked hard for the last few years to build.
Last edited by Jason on April 10th, 2008 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » April 9th, 2008 6:24 pm

If they solved the problem you were complaining about then the post, and the subsequent spat, would be redundant anyway. Even one of Marky's comments containing politically incorrect terminology (that I happened to see ;)) was deleted, so the rules even apply to the fat cats at the top :lol:

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » April 10th, 2008 11:25 am

Javizy wrote:If they solved the problem you were complaining about then the post, and the subsequent spat, would be redundant anyway. Even one of Marky's comments containing politically incorrect terminology (that I happened to see ;)) was deleted, so the rules even apply to the fat cats at the top :lol:

Speaking of politically incorrect terminology...

There was one lesson where I heard something questionable in the translation . It really took me by surprise and I wondered how it got on air (so to speak). I'm not going to mention what it was unless someone really wants to know, but it was totally uncalled for, and made me see jpod in a different light.
お茶漬け海苔

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » April 10th, 2008 11:29 am

Jason wrote:Don't post something like this in my forum again. You'll find me much less forgiving than Marky towards people who threaten our community that we've all, staff and listener alike, worked hard for the last few years to build.

Is threatening someone also the right to do? Shouldn't you guys have handled this in private with watermen. Just because he aired it out, didn't mean you need to as well.

Cooler heads will always prevail.
お茶漬け海苔

sTeVe aUsTiN
Been Around a Bit

Postby sTeVe aUsTiN » April 10th, 2008 11:50 am

It appears they did try to handle it privately, but Watermen had a fit.

Anyways, it's all a moot point now since they actually listened to what he said and apparently agreed with it and fixed the PDF. That's why this place is great! The staff goes out of their way for the listeners. I didn't see the original post, but if Watermen and another listener were fighting, I'm glad they deleted it.

As carefree and fun as things are around here, communities have to have rules and guidelines. And is it so bad that they moderated a fight? Come on, it's not like they banned the guy or canceled his subscription. This is lighter than a slap on the wrist. :lol:

sTeVe aUsTiN
Been Around a Bit

Postby sTeVe aUsTiN » April 10th, 2008 11:51 am

And I'm still wondering about the 2 Yen vs. 2 Yens thing... :lol:

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » April 10th, 2008 12:19 pm

sTeVe aUsTiN wrote:It appears they did try to handle it privately, but Watermen had a fit.

That's what I was trying to say. Just because he had a fit, didn't mean that they had to follow suit.
お茶漬け海苔

sTeVe aUsTiN
Been Around a Bit

Postby sTeVe aUsTiN » April 10th, 2008 12:22 pm

I thought Marky's response was professional and rational. But we can agree to disagree.

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » April 10th, 2008 4:14 pm

sTeVe aUsTiN wrote:I thought Marky's response was professional and rational. But we can agree to disagree.

Fair enough. But I wasn't talking about Marky's response.
お茶漬け海苔

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » April 10th, 2008 5:40 pm

ochazuke wrote:Is threatening someone also the right to do? Shouldn't you guys have handled this in private with watermen. Just because he aired it out, didn't mean you need to as well.

Cooler heads will always prevail.

As an admin here, it's my job to lay down and enforce the law. Fortunately, I can count the number of times I've had to do this over the past couple of years on one hand. This should have all been handled privately. Marky originally did. We're not the ones that brought it out in the open. Yeah, I could have just deleted this whole post, but wouldn't that have been even more oppressive? He aired it out. We can't just "unair" it. I had a right and responsibility to respond. Maybe you should ask him why he decided to post it here instead of keeping it private.

As far as threatening people goes, as long as it's within reason yes, I have the right to threaten suspension and/or banning to keep order. Like I said before, usually everyone here's awesome and I very rarely have to do it. I have more than a few years under my belt of forum admining. I'm not going to dance and sugarcoat around the issue when someone threatens to stir up trouble around here because it tends to snowball. I'm sorry if that seems harsh, but would you prefer anarchy? A lot of people have worked very hard for a long time to build this awesome community. So yeah, I'm more than a little defensive of it. I hardly think you can fault me for that.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”