a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Premium Feed for Android/ Google Listen

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

knadolny
New in Town

Postby knadolny » December 14th, 2009 9:43 am

Is there any way to subscribe to the Premium feed using my new Android phone? I have found the basic feed, but not the premium feed which would be awesome.

Thanks.

Kevin

Jessi
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jessi » December 15th, 2009 12:43 am

Hi knadolny-san,
This might seem like a really basic thing, but first, do you have a Premium subscription? The Premium feed is only available to those with a Premium subscription. Just thought I'd check first.
♪ JapanesePod101.com ♪ 好評配信中!
Leave us a message in the forum if you have any comments, questions, or feedback!

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
knadolny
New in Town

Postby knadolny » December 15th, 2009 1:43 am

Yes of course. The question could also be how do I subscribe to the basic feed, but right now I'm on the premium plan. I've seen a lot of help for the iphone but nothing for the Android phones.

Kevin

olapointe
New in Town

Postby olapointe » December 15th, 2009 4:48 pm

Kevin-san,

Konnichiwa. Good question above - I have the same one. On that note, I am wondering, Jessi, if JPOD will be providing any apps for the "new" android operating system as it does for the ipod touch and i-phone.

Yoroshiku onegaishimasu.

O.J.

connells
New in Town

Postby connells » January 1st, 2010 4:59 am

ake ome!

Is it a case of manually adding in a url somewhere? My pc with iTunes died and now I am trying to set up my feed on Rhythmbox in Ubuntu. You have to enter the address manually.

http://www.japanesepod101.com/feed.xml - works for the free podcast feed.
I don't know what to enter for my premium account.
http://www.japanesepod101.com/premium_feed.xml - does not work. :?

The search continues ...

raziken
New in Town

An Answer

Postby raziken » January 16th, 2010 3:35 am

I've found a solution.

By using the program "DoggCatcher" for android phones and manually adding in the information for the feed, as well as the authentication for the site, the feed works for me.

I know its a paid program, but its worth it, or you could just PM me and I'll forward you the .apk for it.

Happy learning :D

psz01
Been Around a Bit

Postby psz01 » February 7th, 2010 2:35 am

Well, I think the main problem is that most of the Android podcast apps assume that you have a non-secure feed. Meaning when japanesepod101.com asks for a login, those apps have nothing to send to it.

I tried setting up a MyFeed to test, and in the (admittedly few) apps I tried, none of them ever asked for login information. Same feed on a Windows browser got a login prompt, and went right into the feed.

So, maybe we just need (as the previous poster stated) a better app?
*EDIT*

Yup, that's the issue. Found a podcast app that support login (ACastC, in this case), and the custom feed works fine.

Hope that helps!

(Now I just need to find one that plays from oldest to newest ;->)

Bissen
Been Around a Bit

Postby Bissen » February 16th, 2010 9:41 am

I have now tried MyPod, DoggCatcher and ACast(C), and they've all not worked.

The closest I got was with ACast, but once it's downloaded a lesson, it doesn't play anything. Also, it claims the PDFs to be corrupt :s

I might just have to go through my pc every time... If that works!

coopernick
New in Town

Postby coopernick » September 4th, 2010 11:54 pm

Google listen for Android is working pretty well for me

LittleDebbie11
New in Town

Postby LittleDebbie11 » September 26th, 2010 1:54 am

I have the same question. DoubleTwist just says that 'Failed to Subscribe.'

@Coopernick Are you using the Premium Feed? I don't know if Google Listen is programmed to deal with logins. I've added it, but it just sits there thinking.

I would love an Android app, that'd be awesome.

imamuraken9202
New in Town

Premium feed for android

Postby imamuraken9202 » September 26th, 2010 10:47 am

I cant access the premium feed for android just the basic one.

Android is the future so please help us all with that.

rgds,

psz01
Been Around a Bit

Postby psz01 » October 3rd, 2010 12:55 pm

I've been using BeyondPod for the MyFeed feature, and it works nearly perfectly.

The ONLY hiccups I've had are:

1) If I also opt to get the Bonus/Informal/etc tracks, they tend to play BEFORE the actual lesson (This isn't actually a BeyondPod issue: I have the feed play from Oldest to Newest, and this happens even on the computer and other devices)

2) For some reason, if I just blanket select the audio for EVERYTHING (or even just Survival Phrases + anything from Season 2 on), it stops downloading anything older than about January 2007. I've found a work around, though: Create the feed to ONLY include the early stuff (Survival Phrases, News, Culture Class, Intermediate S1, Beginner Season 1, etc), and on BeyondPod give it a name (Like JPOD), and have it download everything. Then go back and create a NEW feed with everything you want, and in BeyondPod take that JPOD feed, and just point it to the new everything feed. This way it keeps all of the lessons you had AND will download and play all of the lessons you might have missed.

Since I've been in China for nearly a month, and my Android is my main camera, I went with an Audio Only MyFeed (No videos or anything) to save space.

Thank God for 32GB of storage ;->

psz01
Been Around a Bit

Postby psz01 » October 3rd, 2010 12:59 pm

Oh, one other thing about BeyondPod:

It is a pay app (I use it enough that I felt it was worth it), however the Trial for it is pretty much full featured, and lasts I think two weeks.

Once the trial ends, you can still play your Feed, but you can't update it.

So, if you're just trying to get all the back episodes, you might be able to just use the trial version.

Oh, and as for one so many PodCatchers don't work: Most of them don't support secure feeds that require user name and password (I found a lot of apps didn't even have the option or mention it at all). So really, any PodCatcher that supports secure login should work. There very well may be something better than BeyondPod at this point, but seeing as it's worked for me, I honestly haven't looked.

dsheedy
New in Town

Postby dsheedy » October 3rd, 2010 4:02 pm

Hi guys,

Have you tried using the http://username:sepo ... d/feed.xml address format on the readers that don't ask for a username and password?

I don't have an android to test it on, hope it works for someone anyway ^-^

Derek

psz01
Been Around a Bit

Postby psz01 » November 10th, 2010 2:45 am

Just an update: While BeyondPod still seems to be the best option (for me) for Premium/MyFeed, I have since updated my Android phone to 2.2, and added Flash from the Marketplace.

Since then, the web-based Flash players now work perfectly on the Android.

IE: I can go to a lesson, hit Play, and it just plays. No downloading, or any other extra steps needed.

Long story short: If you have Android 2.2 and download Flash, the site acts like its a PC.

Return to “Technical Support”