a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

martial arts

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Alcyone
Been Around a Bit

martial arts

Postby Alcyone » November 24th, 2007 12:31 am

Would you please do some lessons on martial arts and how to hold a conversation off the mat?

For example, I have no idea how to say I "practice" Aikido. On the mat, we string together Japanese terms with English, but have no idea what Sensei would say if it was all Japanese.

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Postby kc8ufv » November 24th, 2007 3:09 pm

I know what you mean.
When I was a kid taking Tae Kwon Do, one of the instructors studied a style (I don't recall which one) in Okinawa, so we used English grammer, with a combination of Korean, Japanese, and English terms.

Get 40% OFF
markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » November 25th, 2007 1:41 am

well, yuki is a black belt in kenpo, so i'll talk to him about it 8)
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » November 25th, 2007 1:38 pm

markystar wrote:well, yuki is a black belt in kenpo, so i'll talk to him about it 8)

I am too. Don't leave me out! :karate:
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » November 25th, 2007 1:54 pm

damn... now there's 2 of you i have to be careful not to make angry! :lol:
hahaha

alright, well, you're in on this one too 8)
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Postby kc8ufv » November 26th, 2007 11:23 am

I guess compared to you guys, my green belt (6 kyuu, I think) is nothing. Especially since I haven't practiced in about 10 years.

Alcyone
Been Around a Bit

Postby Alcyone » December 9th, 2007 4:40 am

Thank you for taking my suggestion under consideration. :D

kc8fu, your tae kwon do class sounds like it was interesting. we say things like "omote and ura". I don't even know if we should say to or ya or something else between.

If it would help, I could post a link to an Aikido glossary for our terminology.

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Postby kc8ufv » December 9th, 2007 5:02 am

Alcyone wrote:Thank you for taking my suggestion under consideration. :D

kc8fu, your tae kwon do class sounds like it was interesting. we say things like "omote and ura". I don't even know if we should say to or ya or something else between.

If it would help, I could post a link to an Aikido glossary for our terminology.

The bit of non-English we used was primarily for specific moves and forms. Somewhere around here I still have my book. As it was a Korean style, we were supposed to study some Korean. All I remember from it is "ko map sum ni da". I don't know any hangeul (sp?) so I can't write that phrase the correct way. Recently, I listened to one of the first podcasts over at KC101, so now I can at least introduce myself, and express my sincere gratitude. Even if I can't say anything else.

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » December 9th, 2007 8:50 am

that would help me, as i don't study akido or kenpo or karate or anything like that.
also, unfortunately, yuki will be away until may, so i just lost my martial arts expert temporarily. but when he returns, i'll have him do a series on this. believe me, it's very high on my "to do" list!! :karate:
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

Alcyone
Been Around a Bit

Postby Alcyone » December 10th, 2007 7:41 am

markystar wrote:[but when he returns, i'll have him do a series on this. believe me, it's very high on my "to do" list!! :karate:

:oiwai:

Here's a link in Romaji http://www.aikiweb.com/language/vocab.html

They have a wiki now with Kanji but it's word by word. http://www.aikiweb.com/wiki/Vocabulary

I'll ask my one of my 日本語 classmates who studies Iaido if he has a link to their vocab.

どうも ありがとう 

Return to “Japanese Lesson Suggestions”