Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Student loan and unreliable family.....what to do?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Student loan and unreliable family.....what to do?

Postby untmdsprt » June 25th, 2007 11:33 am

Has anyone else still have bills they had to pay while working in Japan? What did you do to send your payment in each month? If it wasn't for this student loan I wouldn't have a bill left in the US!!

Also, what did you do with your things while over there? At most I have DVDs, books, and Native American artwork that I want to keep, but my family is already complaining about how many boxes I will have for them to store. :shock: Do you know of any reputable storage spaces that can watch them while you're away?

TIA!!!

TheProfessorOne
Established Presence

Re: Student loan and unreliable family.....what to do?

Postby TheProfessorOne » June 25th, 2007 11:37 am

untmdsprt wrote:Has anyone else still have bills they had to pay while working in Japan? What did you do to send your payment in each month? If it wasn't for this student loan I wouldn't have a bill left in the US!!

Also, what did you do with your things while over there? At most I have DVDs, books, and Native American artwork that I want to keep, but my family is already complaining about how many boxes I will have for them to store. :shock: Do you know of any reputable storage spaces that can watch them while you're away?

TIA!!!

To the first part:
I have a bank account with CitiBank in America. There is an ATM here in Yokohama that will let me use my US card for deposits etc. Hence, I use that account to moniter and pay all bills I have in the US while dumping money into it from here. I am not sure that this is the "best" way to go, but it works for me.

To the second part:
No idea sorry! :roll:
Guidelines | FAQ | あなたはぜっこうちょうですか?

Get 40% OFF
untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » June 25th, 2007 12:15 pm

I may look into Citibank for that. At least I'll know my loan is being paid on time, and can send more money when I need to!

The rest I've decided to put on ebay when the time comes. Too bad I couldn't have my future job help me with the shipping.

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » June 25th, 2007 12:29 pm

i had enough in my bank account in the US for a few months... then just didn't pay for a few more months. (if you have government loans they don't charge interest if you pay late, and the loans aren't part of your credit history)

then when i had about 500,000yen i made a big transfer and paid off the remainder of the loan.

as for what to do with your stuff- i have a few boxes at my parents' and a few things at friends'. i know other people who brought everything with them here.

view it as a good way to simplify your life.

TheProfessorOne
Established Presence

Postby TheProfessorOne » June 25th, 2007 12:30 pm

Yeah there are a few banks here that allow you to use your US ATM/Debit card, I just don't have the information on which ones. I do know for a fact though that CitiBank works. Although the only ATM near me that I can use is Yokohama four train stops away...not bad.

It depends on where you will be living.
Guidelines | FAQ | あなたはぜっこうちょうですか?

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » June 25th, 2007 10:19 pm

annie wrote:i had enough in my bank account in the US for a few months... then just didn't pay for a few more months. (if you have government loans they don't charge interest if you pay late, and the loans aren't part of your credit history)

then when i had about 500,000yen i made a big transfer and paid off the remainder of the loan.

as for what to do with your stuff- i have a few boxes at my parents' and a few things at friends'. i know other people who brought everything with them here.

view it as a good way to simplify your life.

Hmm, this computer (good for digital audio recording) monitor, 80 DVDs, 50 books, 5 Native American pieces, A/V receiver and maybe a box of odd/ends. I'd say a closet full at least. Stuff such as the bed, dresser, futon will be either sold or given to Goodwill. I've already simplified a lot when I moved to my current apt!

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”