Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Why and when does は sound like "wa" instead of "ha"?

Everything you need to know about the Japanese Language and How to Learn Japanese.

Discuss, ask questions and get answers on the Japanese Language and How to Learn Japanese.

Moderators: Admin Team, Moderator Team

Aki_no_Kage
New in Town

Postby Aki_no_Kage » January 27th, 2015 11:45 pm

It is confusing me so much! I thought that はwas "ha" but when asking how to say something in another language it is "wa"!
Example: 「washing machine」にほんごでなんですか。Washing machine wa nihongo de nan desu ka?"What's 'washing machine' in Japanese?"

Can anyone explain this please!? Thanks very much!! :D

rayman.the.one.and.only1_498570
Established Presence

Re: Why and when does は sound like "wa" instead of "ha"?

Postby rayman.the.one.and.only1_498570 » January 28th, 2015 1:53 am

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know は (Ha) is ONLY pronounced "Wa" when used as a sentence particle marking the topic of a sentence. For example If I were to say "Watashi WA (は)HAna (はな) desu" 「わたしははなです」 "My name is hana" The name Hana would NOT be pronounced Wana. The hirgana for は is only used as wa for the particle I think. Like if you saw Kon'nichiwa written in hiragana it would look like this 「こんにちわ」 And わ is used as wa not は.
Hope this helps.

Get 31% OFF
mmmason8967
Expert on Something

Postby mmmason8967 » January 28th, 2015 7:43 am

rayman.the.one.and.only1 wrote:Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know は (Ha) is ONLY pronounced "Wa" when used as a sentence particle marking the topic of a sentence. For example If I were to say "Watashi WA (は)HAna (はな) desu" 「わたしははなです」 "My name is hana" The name Hana would NOT be pronounced Wana. The hirgana for は is only used as wa for the particle I think.

That's right: there are two particles that are written with different characters to what you'd expect. Wa, which is written with the は (ha) character and e is written with the へ (he) character. You'll perhaps notice they're both from the h row of the kana table, and in the old days the kana in the h row had more than one pronunciation (a bit like c in English being either an s sound or a k sound). Back in those days the particle wa was always written with は and the particle e was written with へ; when Japanese spelling was reformed in the late 1940s, the use of は for the particle wa and へ for the particle e was retained because they were so well established.

Like if you saw Kon'nichiwa written in hiragana it would look like this 「こんにちわ」 And わ is used as wa not は.
Hope this helps.

This is wrong, I'm afraid. Konnichiwa is こんにちは, with a は at then end, not a わ. The reason is that it's actually the start of a sentence, so it's こんにち followed by the particle は. What the rest of the sentence might have been is lost in the mists of time, at least as far as I know. It could even be a question--"how's your day going?"

マイケル

rayman.the.one.and.only1_498570
Established Presence

Postby rayman.the.one.and.only1_498570 » January 29th, 2015 12:21 pm

That's interesting, I didn't know that last part. :)

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » January 29th, 2015 2:59 pm

Aki_no_Kage san, rayman.the.one.and.only1 san,
Konnichiwa. こんにちは。
I think マイケルさん explained that clearly.

マイケルさん、
いつもながら、素晴らしい回答ですね。
どうもありがとうございます。

Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

acristianedalva_499684
New in Town

Postby acristianedalva_499684 » February 25th, 2015 1:06 am

That's right: there are two particles that are written with different characters to what you'd expect. Wa, which is written with the は (ha) character and e is written with the へ (he) character. You'll perhaps notice they're both from the h row of the kana table, and in the old days the kana in the h row had more than one pronunciation (a bit like c in English being either an s sound or a k sound). Back in those days the particle wa was always written with は and the particle e was written with へ; when Japanese spelling was reformed in the late 1940s, the use of は for the particle wa and へ for the particle e was retained because they were so well established.

ありがとう ございます!!!! I've had this doubt for ages! Thank you ;) :flower:

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » February 25th, 2015 7:56 pm

acristianedalva san,
Konnichiwa.
That’s great you understand clearly.

Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

hoppingyop_517283
New in Town

Postby hoppingyop_517283 » July 15th, 2017 10:18 pm

Hello,

So based on all the posts here it seems to me that you can't predict when は is going to sound like wa or ha or when へ is going to sound like he or e? If I'm wrong please explain a little more because I didn't understand then.

Thanks,

Joe

thegooseking
Expert on Something

Postby thegooseking » July 19th, 2017 9:42 pm

Joe-san,

No, it's quite predictable. The topic marker は is pronounced wa; all other instances of は are pronounced ha. The direction marker へ is pronounced e; all other instances of へ are pronounced he.

So basically you just have to think of grammar particles as exceptions. を is another exception, although it's slightly different - it's simply only ever used as a particle; never in a word's spelling (the katakana version ヲ is sometimes used to spell katakana words, but I think even that's quite rare, and normally オ or ウォ is preferred).

小狼

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » July 31st, 2017 10:59 am

小狼さん、
こんにちは。
説明をどうもありがとうございます。

Joe san,
Konnichiwa.
What 小狼 san said is right.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask us again.
:)
Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”