a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Japanese/dating/other women

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

spinozza
Been Around a Bit

Japanese/dating/other women

Postby spinozza » October 20th, 2006 6:31 am

The reason I began studying Japanese was b/c I started dating a woman from Japan. I decided that I wanted to write her Christmas card in Japanese, which was my original reason for learning. I wanted to write her a cute card using her own language.

However, now when people ask me "so why are you learning Japanese"? "isn't it strange for an american to learn Japanese?"

I am not sure how to answer them. I have since quit dating my ex gf. So I can't say that it is b/c i am dating japanese woman. I can relate to them my original intentions but it is a long story..

Also, I hate being perceived as some guy who just wants to meet Japanese women...and that is the reason I am learning Japanese...

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby jkid » October 20th, 2006 10:42 am

Not really understanding the purpose of this post?

Get 40% OFF
Abrassart
Established Presence

Re: Japanese/dating/other women

Postby Abrassart » October 20th, 2006 10:45 am

spinozza wrote:Also, I hate being perceived as some guy who just wants to meet Japanese women...and that is the reason I am learning Japanese...

Well, you just have to say that your former girlfriend give you the taste for their culture.

Choosing to study japanese is not always (or ever) a rationnal choice.

Jason

Postby Jason » October 20th, 2006 1:32 pm

Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » October 21st, 2006 3:19 am

This post was probably intended to be a reply to the "Why did you start learning Japanese thread". But he hit the "New Topic" Button instead of the "Post Reply" button.

Jason

Postby Jason » October 21st, 2006 3:21 am

Bueller_007 wrote:This post was probably intended to be a reply to the "Why did you start learning Japanese thread". But he hit the "New Topic" Button instead of the "Post Reply" button.

Ah, that would make sense.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Elfunko
Expert on Something

Postby Elfunko » November 28th, 2006 2:43 pm

Im a guy who wants to meet Japanese women. Whats the bfd (theres a curse word in there, try to guesse which one).

I'll tell you something. If you try you might fail, but if you don't try you fail 100% of the time.

So go out there and get a new japanese girlfriend. You'll feel better, and so will she! :D

metablue
Expert on Something

Postby metablue » December 2nd, 2006 9:13 am

It makes sense as an original post.

So why are you still learning Japanese? The cute card reason is gone, and if that was the only reason, you'd have stopped learning. So why are you still doing it? The reason might not be something you want to admit - "I want to prove I'm smart" - "It reminds me of my lost girlfriend" - "I only find Japanese women attractive" - I don't know.

If you don't want to answer the question honestly, make something up. Say you've always been fascinated with Japanese culture, or you enjoy the challenge of learning a really difficult language, or whatever.

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » April 6th, 2007 7:18 pm

metablue wrote:It makes sense as an original post.

So why are you still learning Japanese? The cute card reason is gone, and if that was the only reason, you'd have stopped learning. So why are you still doing it? The reason might not be something you want to admit - "I want to prove I'm smart" - "It reminds me of my lost girlfriend" - "I only find Japanese women attractive" - I don't know.

If you don't want to answer the question honestly, make something up. Say you've always been fascinated with Japanese culture, or you enjoy the challenge of learning a really difficult language, or whatever.

Yes, that is true! 8) :wink:

Excellent Metablue-san! You really said what it is! :twisted: :D

The coat fell on me too! :P :)

Return to “General Japanese Culture”