Or sign up using Facebook

books about Japanese culture

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

agastka
New in Town

books about Japanese culture

Postby agastka » October 10th, 2009 4:25 pm

Hi everybody,
I'm going to Japan next year and apart from learning the language I would like to learn more about contemporary Japan...so I'm searching for some (preferably English) literature about Japanese in general and about communication and challenges while approaching Japanese people and culture...There are lots of different books on the market but I don't know which one is good. So maybe you have already read something you could recommend?

Thanks in advance...!

gerald_ford
Expert on Something

Re: books about Japanese culture

Postby gerald_ford » October 10th, 2009 9:10 pm

agastka wrote:Hi everybody,
I'm going to Japan next year and apart from learning the language I would like to learn more about contemporary Japan...so I'm searching for some (preferably English) literature about Japanese in general and about communication and challenges while approaching Japanese people and culture...There are lots of different books on the market but I don't know which one is good. So maybe you have already read something you could recommend?

Thanks in advance...!

I think you're right to be a bit leery about such books. A lot of books on Japan and Japanese culture tend to either romanticize or demonize Japanese culture and people. I guess it sells better books. Having travelled to a few different Asian countries, and married a Japanese lady, I find that Japan is just another culture in the world, though it happens to be one I like a lot. :) Take those books with a big grain of salt.

Even when I lived in Ireland, a non-Asian culture, I found that cultural guidebooks about Ireland were sometimes flagrantly inaccurate. Meeting Irish people in person taught me a lot more, and made the experience there much more pleasant.

As with any culture, you can't go wrong with some obvious tips:
* Be respectful - don't be assertive, just go with the flow.
* Be observant - imitate where possible to blend in.
* Expect homesickness to come in waves - the waves get fewer and further between as time goes on
* Gifts are always a nice thing to bring - giving is better than taking, afterall :)

As for practical tips about Japan in particular (like taking off your shoes when entering someone's house or restaraunt, there's lots of good "etiquette" sources online. As long as you know basic etiquette, the tips above will get you through all the unexpected things. Travel books like Lonely Planet are ok, but as with a trip to another Asian country, I found their advice limited and sometimes exaggerated (or whitewashed), so don't rely on them too much.

Good luck!
--Gerald Ford: Pirate-Viking-Monk in training.

Blog: http://nihonshukyo.wordpress.com/

Get 40% OFF
agastka
New in Town

thanks for the tips!

Postby agastka » October 11th, 2009 7:10 am

Hi Gerald
thank you for your tips...are you sure you didn't write a book yourself?
I just thought, if I read a good book I will be more confident in Japan...so I think I will save some money by not buying any books...
but I will definitely search for some practical tips on the internet and I will memorise "the four" you wrote...;)

Good luck to you too!

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » October 11th, 2009 4:31 pm

I'd agree with everything Gerald_Ford wrote.

He beat me to it about taking books on Japanese culture with a critical eye.
Many are about "doing business" with the Japanese. Many are also of the what I did on my summer holidays, isn't Japan strange or isn't it dreadful because it's not my culture, type.

That said I'm a sucker for all books Japanese!

I found 2 that are interesting. Both written by Japanese.

Japanese Cultural Encounters by Hiroko C. Kataoka
This bookk gives 56 short narratives or situations then you choose between 4 explanations of what was happening. The answers are then briefly discussed.
I think it was meant as a starting point for classes about Japan.

Traditional Japanese Culture and Modern Japan by Yoiichi Sugiura and John K Gillespie 1993
This is a bilingual text. I don't even know if it is still in print as I found it second hand. The modern stuff might be a little dated but a lot of it is about traditional customs. And tradition is still quite strong in Japan in my experience. It gives a deep background to what you might see going on.

On the Internet the Daily Yomiuri english edition has weekly essays.
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/features/language/
Behind the paper screen is one such and cultural conundrums is another.
Unfortunately access to their archives is a paid service.

Japan might be a culture shock no matter what. Well that was my experience at first.
It's the practical day to day stuff that is seldom written about that would have been useful. And when misunderstandings occured I doubt a book would have helped.
If you have some friends who can help you or give you an "in" into the real culture it's much better and gets more interesting and gives you more confidence in exploring Japan. (I may never have started going to onsen if I wasn't taken to one by a friend. And even once saw some Yakuza in a 1950's era sentou once. scary guys, but neat tattoos.)
I'd add another rule. If you get the chance join in.
With the corollary, while at times there is comfort in your own culture, don't just be part of the ex-pat culture. Off the beaten track you meet much more interesting people.

I'd also recommend just general reading. Read some history, (especially post 1945). Read modern novels (by Japanese) Even watch TV dramas or films (daily life sort of thing) Bearing in mind that they are drama you can still learn a lot.

gerald_ford
Expert on Something

Re: thanks for the tips!

Postby gerald_ford » October 15th, 2009 7:53 pm

agastka wrote:Hi Gerald
thank you for your tips...are you sure you didn't write a book yourself?

No, but now you got me thinking. ;)
--Gerald Ford: Pirate-Viking-Monk in training.

Blog: http://nihonshukyo.wordpress.com/

Return to “General Japanese Culture”