Or sign up using Facebook

taking shoes off

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

kacjp5
New in Town

taking shoes off

Postby kacjp5 » May 26th, 2009 4:00 am

Hi all,

Am visiting japan in Summer (I've been in every other season!) Just wondering when you take off your shoes for restaurants and houses - is it ok to be bare foot? So if you're wearing no socks it's ok?

Cheers,

Kat

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby jkid » May 26th, 2009 4:50 am

High class restaurants often require you to take your shoes off. Moderately priced restaurants do not normally require this. You should be able to tell straight away when you enter an establishment what is expected of you because normally there will be a designated spot to take off your shoes before you enter the main area of the restaurant.

I therefore wouldn’t worry too much about taking your shoes off at restaurants unless you plan to go to more `upper class` places.

You should expect to take your shoes off when entering a house. I would say you should wear socks.
JapanesePod101.com - Forum Admin
Learn Japanese with FREE Daily Podcasts

http://www.japanesepod101.com
contactus@japanesepod101.com

Join by May 6th
Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » May 26th, 2009 9:53 am

I've been to some cheap places that also required you to take your shoes off. Sushiya, or izakaya with more Japanese style. Usually when alone I'd be sat at Western style seating where you don't take your shoes off however.
I usually carry a couple of pairs of clean lightweight socks. (Either for when I wear sandals or when when my summer weight boots are still a bit sweaty.) I also usually don't fit into slippers when they are provided. (I bring my own for Ryokan and staying at someones house)
I've definitely been barefoot in castles. Maybe in other places, I can't remember.
In houses? Only when I'm part of the family. Defiantly at least socks elsewhere and then only because I don't fit into slippers.

(---for people who haven't been to Japan before ---
As said it will be obvious when to do so as there will be a place to put your shoes and nobody else will be wearing shoes.
Ryokan and Onsen / Sentou are other places where you don't wear shoes. Some old buildings like Castles will ask you to remove your shoes. You usually don't wear your shoes in temples either.
The prime rule is never ever wear slippers or shoes on tatami.
And when provided change into toilet slippers when using the facilities. )
Last edited by Belton on May 26th, 2009 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » May 26th, 2009 9:54 am

I always thought it was clean socks with no holes, or some sort of stocking. I wonder what people do in the case of sandals?

I guess maybe you could take a pair of socks with you in case you enter someone's house or a restaurant and want to put them on.

Return to “General Japanese Culture”