a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

No Soap In Toilet Room?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

No Soap In Toilet Room?

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » April 27th, 2008 10:50 am

I'm currently in Osaka, this being my 2nd trip to Japan, I've noticed something that I'm a bit curious about. I've been invited to more than a handful of homes, and I've noticed the same thing in all of them. In the toilet room, there was never any soap to be found. Furthermore, it doesn't seem like the fixtures in the toilet room have any place where soap would go. I guess the latter would explain the absence of the former, but....

Is this normal in Japan?

I carry hand cleaner with me, so I'm fine. But the first time I spend a good deal of time looking for the soap.

Oddly enough, the public toilets I've been to, do have soap dispensers.
お茶漬け海苔

JonB
Expert on Something

but quite often

Postby JonB » April 28th, 2008 1:58 am

Oddly enough, the public toilets I've been to, do have soap dispensers

no way of drying your hands! Essential items for all travellers should include a small hand towel...

Get 35% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS
sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » April 29th, 2008 11:11 pm

For sure, but that doesn't really answer my question.

Why no soap in the toilet room?
お茶漬け海苔

Fedgrub
Expert on Something

Postby Fedgrub » May 1st, 2008 5:29 am

Are you sure they don't have liquid soap on the shelf?

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » May 1st, 2008 1:45 pm

Fedgrub wrote:Are you sure they don't have liquid soap on the shelf?

100% sure. I even asked about it at two places I visited, and just got puzzled looks. And not because they didn't know what I was saying since they spoke fluent English. I got the feeling they were puzzled why I needed soap.
お茶漬け海苔

JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » May 2nd, 2008 5:50 am

I think something got missed from my earlier reply - very strange.

Anyway - in peoples houses I have always seen soap. It is usually the liquid type. Japanese for hand soap is pretty much that - I am sure any Japanese would understand if you said it just like that.

Having said that I am usually in houses where there are young children in the family so maybe they make an exception then - dunno

Fedgrub
Expert on Something

Postby Fedgrub » May 7th, 2008 2:37 am

I know a lot of the time they have body soap in the same containers that hand soap is stored in bathrooms in the Western world. But maybe they just don't like soap! haha

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » May 19th, 2008 2:44 pm

Hmmm, I still wonder....

Seems I'm not the only one who has noticed this:

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/querea ... ml?0+18589

Quote from the page:
Also, I'm staying at a japanese house and there is no soap near the toilet. The sink turns on when you flush, but theres no soap. I'm not so much concerned about everyone washing there hands, I just like to.

by Ashley 2005/8/18

I still don't know what to make of this.
お茶漬け海苔

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » June 16th, 2008 11:00 am

Don't know about people's houses, but rarely do I find soap in public restrooms. I too carry hand cleaner when I'm out. My guess is the toilets will wash your privates clean with warm water so why do you need soap for your hands?

Liquid soap is actually better since you buy the bottle once and then buy the refill bags. It's also good because they have body sponges here. I've yet to find a washrag to use a bar of soap with.

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » June 16th, 2008 2:10 pm

I guess I expect soap (liquid or solid) in a room with a toilet, which is a room where bacteria is prevalent. Yeah, I get that the toilets in Japan will wash you up, but unless you have a totally automated toilet, you are going to need to press some buttons to get that "feature" going, buttons that have been touched by other people who may or may not be as clean as you.
お茶漬け海苔

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby jkid » June 16th, 2008 3:02 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I will be sure to pack a lot of sanitiser. It seems really strange that soap would be a rarity in a bathroom. Ochazuke, I share your concern, it all comes down to basic hygiene. What a strange predicament...

On a side not I also noticed when I was travelling that a number of people did not bother to cover their nose or mouth when sneezing or coughing. The government began running an education campaign to try and encourage people to do this but I would say while I was in Japan, more often than not people would not bother to cover their mouth or nose.

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » June 16th, 2008 10:19 pm

jkid wrote:Thanks for the heads up. I will be sure to pack a lot of sanitiser. It seems really strange that soap would be a rarity in a bathroom. Ochazuke, I share your concern, it all comes down to basic hygiene. What a strange predicament...

For sure. Being a guest in someone's house made it especially awkward to even bring up the subject. Like I said above, I did ask after it seemed like a pattern, but was just given puzzled looks, so I didn't press any further. I guess this will just remain a mystery to me.

jkid wrote:On a side not I also noticed when I was travelling that a number of people did not bother to cover their nose or mouth when sneezing or coughing. The government began running an education campaign to try and encourage people to do this but I would say while I was in Japan, more often than not people would not bother to cover their mouth or nose.

Funny you should mention this, when I was in Osaka in late April of this year, I got coughed on a few times. It happened enough that I started wearing a mask myself. I guess it's to be expected in a densely populated area.
お茶漬け海苔

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » June 19th, 2008 1:00 am

ochazuke wrote:
Funny you should mention this, when I was in Osaka in late April of this year, I got coughed on a few times. It happened enough that I started wearing a mask myself. I guess it's to be expected in a densely populated area.

Thanks for the heads up!! I haven't had this happen to me yet, but I'll be sure to get some masks during flu season.

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » June 19th, 2008 9:36 am

I brought up the no soap question with a few of my students. No one knows the reason why, but seem to guess that it's to save money in the public restrooms (both the cost of soap and of water).

And a lot of Japanese homes have (or used to have) the toilets with the faucet on top and (for some reason) you wouldn't want the hand soap to run back into the tank.

All the schools I've taught at have soap (bar soap in mesh nets).

Personally, I try to use the nicer toilets in the department stores, as they do have soap.

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » June 19th, 2008 9:02 pm

annie wrote:And a lot of Japanese homes have (or used to have) the toilets with the faucet on top and (for some reason) you wouldn't want the hand soap to run back into the tank.

I guess that's an explanation I can appreciate, although I don't particularly agree with the logic.
But what about those faucets that are not above the toilet? I'm guessing that the "no soap" habit just carried on to the newer faucets....maybe?

It would be nice if some of the native Japanese jpod101.com staff would chime in on this topic.
お茶漬け海苔

Return to “General Japanese Culture”