Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Is there a big court case going on in Japan right now?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

metablue
Expert on Something

Is there a big court case going on in Japan right now?

Postby metablue » June 2nd, 2006 2:00 am

I was "watching" a Japanese news show and they dedicated a lot of time to a court case with 4 or 5 guys in it. Looked like it had something to do with stock certificates.

There were 4 suited guys and they looked like they had some kind of bad interaction with a fifth guy. The fifth guy had slightly scruffy hair and there were lots of shots of him wearing a blue sweater. They had interviews with him going back several years. It looked like they might be pointing out inconsistencies in the things he'd said over the years.

It looked interesting. Anyone know what it was about? I had much better luck understanding the commercials.

alfa1
New in Town

Re: Is there a big court case going on in Japan right now?

Postby alfa1 » June 2nd, 2006 10:41 am

metablue wrote:The fifth guy had slightly scruffy hair and there were lots of shots of him wearing a blue sweater. They had interviews with him going back several years.

News show? Scruffy hair? Blue sweater?
No doubt it would be this very suspicious looking guy here:
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/956/930/640/koi8.jpg

Get 40% OFF
metablue
Expert on Something

Postby metablue » June 2nd, 2006 4:10 pm

LOL. Is that you?

This guy was maybe in his early 50s and had a heavier face. The sweater was paler blue. After looking up Japanese court cases on Google news I thought it might be Hirotoshi Honda, but he doesn't look the same.

Ooh, and they mentioned Enron in the "on tonight's news" section at the beginning of the show, but there were no stories about Enron. So perhaps this was "The Japanese Enron". Perhaps it's that guy they mentioned in an intermediate class who started a famous internet company and then was accused of fraud. The one who has a nickname based on a manga character.

<edit: manga, not cartoon>
Last edited by metablue on June 2nd, 2006 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Satsujin
Established Presence

Postby Satsujin » June 2nd, 2006 5:39 pm

Sounds to me like the big Live door scandal. I think they talked about this in one of the podcasts.

metablue
Expert on Something

Postby metablue » June 2nd, 2006 8:09 pm

Yes! That's it. Wow, I was wrong about Horiemon's age, he is in his early 30s. I guess he's been under a lot of stress lately. The other 4 men were Livedoor execs.

Here's a link:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5018694.stm

Return to “General Japanese Culture”