a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Dating?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

ali17
Been Around a Bit

Dating?

Postby ali17 » May 29th, 2006 3:53 am

What are the general rules for dating in Japan? Are they changing as more global influences creep in?

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: Dating?

Postby Bueller_007 » May 29th, 2006 10:53 am

ali17 wrote:What are the general rules for dating in Japan? Are they changing as more global influences creep in?

The biggest one is:
No displays of public affection (especially as a foreigner).

Get 35% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS
patchmonkey
Been Around a Bit

Postby patchmonkey » June 12th, 2006 5:02 am

No displays of public affection?

Where have you been hanging out, Bueller?

I see people nearly everywhere hooking up, whether it's japanese, foreigners, or mixed. Maybe it's a little more cosmopolitan here in Tokyo, but I haven't even seen a disapproving glance (except from other foreigners when people really go at it).

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » June 12th, 2006 10:47 am

patchmonkey wrote:No displays of public affection?

Where have you been hanging out, Bueller?

I see people nearly everywhere hooking up, whether it's japanese, foreigners, or mixed. Maybe it's a little more cosmopolitan here in Tokyo, but I haven't even seen a disapproving glance (except from other foreigners when people really go at it).

"Public displays of public affection" means, for example, making out. Not "hooking up" or "nampa". Do you really see as many PDAs in Japan as you do at home? In my experience, it rarely goes beyond holding hands in public.

And just because you may see it doesn't necessarily mean it's good form. Lots of girls put on make-up in the train, and lots of guys urinate in public when drunk. But these are things that "proper" Japanese simply don't do.

I lived in Osaka. Perhaps it really is quite different in Tokyo. I don't know. But I thought that the no PDA thing was pretty much common knowledge.

Cruxay
New in Town

Postby Cruxay » June 13th, 2006 2:48 pm

woah u actually explained it to him... when he gave u some e-attitude too lol.

my buddy there right now from Canada is dating a local home girl and he seems very reserved about their relationship, and the guy is a freakin player over here.

metablue
Expert on Something

Postby metablue » June 14th, 2006 2:33 am

Bueller_007 wrote:"Public displays of public affection" means, for example, making out. Not "hooking up" or "nampa". Do you really see as many PDAs in Japan as you do at home? In my experience, it rarely goes beyond holding hands in public.

Hooking up? Um. Hrm. /blush. That sounds more extreme to me than making out.

I don't think I've seen a PDA in the US for years, except on those days in San Francisco when people run around in g-strings and leather.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » June 17th, 2006 10:18 am

metablue wrote:
Bueller_007 wrote:"Public displays of public affection" means, for example, making out. Not "hooking up" or "nampa". Do you really see as many PDAs in Japan as you do at home? In my experience, it rarely goes beyond holding hands in public.

Hooking up? Um. Hrm. /blush. That sounds more extreme to me than making out.

I don't think I've seen a PDA in the US for years, except on those days in San Francisco when people run around in g-strings and leather.

To me, "hooking up" means "meeting someone", esp. "meeting a girl in a bar and taking her home". Not necessarily doing anything in public. But it's a pretty poorly defined phrase, I guess.

Elderp
New in Town

Postby Elderp » July 13th, 2006 9:44 am

When I was in Odwara (but this was awhile ago). People even so much as holding hands were looked down upon. I did notice Tokyo was more relaxed in a lot of things. I think the the PDA must be a Tokyo thing.

CrazySwayzee
Been Around a Bit

Postby CrazySwayzee » September 3rd, 2006 3:52 am

Bueller_007 wrote:
ali17 wrote:What are the general rules for dating in Japan? Are they changing as more global influences creep in?

The biggest one is:

I think that's a good thing, don't you?

many a times i've seen people overly display affection in the public, and it's kinda gross.

but I imagine a small peck (kiss) on the cheeks is alright? or no?

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » September 3rd, 2006 4:04 am

CrazySwayzee wrote:
Bueller_007 wrote:

The biggest one is:

many a times i've seen people overly display affection in the public, and it's kinda gross.

IMO, it's not.

If you move in for the kiss on the cheek in public, most Japanese girls will give you the "恥ずかしい!", even if they're very passionate in private.

You have to walk on eggshells, especially as a foreigner.

CrazySwayzee
Been Around a Bit

Postby CrazySwayzee » September 8th, 2006 1:50 am

Bueller_007 wrote:
CrazySwayzee wrote:
Bueller_007 wrote:

The biggest one is:

IMO, it's not.

If you move in for the kiss on the cheek in public, most Japanese girls will give you the "恥ずかしい!", even if they're very passionate in private.

wow, that's very interesting.

seems like it's one of the ways Japan is really different compared to the west.

in Italy, even the men kiss each other on the cheek, and in Japan, kissing is virtually non-existant

what a world we live in :D

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » March 16th, 2007 4:46 pm

Bueller_007 wrote:
CrazySwayzee wrote:
Bueller_007 wrote:

The biggest one is:

IMO, it's not.

WOW! this is very interest information specially the eggshells walk for us foreigners! :lol:

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » March 16th, 2007 4:53 pm

CrazySwayzee wrote:
Bueller_007 wrote:
CrazySwayzee wrote:
Bueller_007 wrote:

The biggest one is:

IMO, it's not.

wow, that's very interesting.

seems like it's one of the ways Japan is really different compared to the west.

in Italy, even the men kiss each other on the cheek, and in Japan, kissing is virtually non-existant

what a world we live in :D

Bueller_007

In Mexico only girls kiss each other in the cheek has a greeting but men will NEVER do that to each other because that so Gay for us Mexicans! 8) :lol:

I agree with you yes what a world we live in fill with seven continents with different customs! :roll: ahhhhhhh :twisted:

Outkast
Expert on Something

Postby Outkast » March 30th, 2007 1:33 am

Ulver_684 wrote:In Mexico only girls kiss each other in the cheek has a greeting but men will NEVER do that to each other because that so Gay for us Mexicans! 8) :lol:

Nice, uh... phrasing...

It's about the same in Costa Rica though too. Women kiss each other, then will kiss you (a male) or expect you to kiss them, but everyone laughs when you pretend to move in to greet the other guy with a kiss. My father and his business partner have a running joke with that.

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » April 1st, 2007 12:28 am

Outkast wrote:
Ulver_684 wrote:In Mexico only girls kiss each other in the cheek has a greeting but men will NEVER do that to each other because that so Gay for us Mexicans! 8) :lol:

Women kiss each other, then will kiss you (a male) or expect you to kiss them.

ohh yeah I forgot to mention that, the same way in Mexico too! 8) :wink:

Return to “General Japanese Culture”