Or sign up using Facebook

"Gay" Clubs

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Fedgrub
Expert on Something

"Gay" Clubs

Postby Fedgrub » November 19th, 2007 12:59 am

Hey,

I recieved an email from a friend who said she went to a gay club in Tokyo recently. I am not sure whether she meant "gay" in a homosexual way, because she is straight. I thought maybe she got confused with her electronic dictionary. I am not sure how to reply to it, I am not homophobic but obviously I am curious about how her weekend was and want to ask further questions but dont want to assume it was a homosexual club if it wasnt and offend her!

Thanks!

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » November 19th, 2007 11:03 am

just ask.
I doubt a woman would be offended by asking her what sort of club it was.
Maybe explain why you're asking and what your cultures views and attitudes are.; what your views are. (cultural exchange)

It most likely was "gay" as in homosexual. (I don't understand the modern youth usage myself, and gay as in happy and lighthearted is a bit anachronistic even for someone not having English as a first language.)

A lot of women go to gay clubs to dance, they find it more fun and get hit on less. (maybe straight guys don't go because they're afraid of being hit on or see clubing only as a chase and not just for dancing...) Young and urban have less problems with peoples sexuality and Japan with a lack of Christian culture and it's attendant hangups might be even more tolerant, I don't know.

If it was katakana ゲイ、I'm pretty sure there's only one meaning.

Get 40% OFF
untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » November 19th, 2007 1:11 pm

I've been to a gay bar with some friends of mine, and I found the men much more enjoyable to talk to since they don't have the hangups like straight men do. I'm there to have fun, not describe what my bedroom looks like!!

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » November 19th, 2007 10:22 pm

untmdsprt wrote:I've been to a gay bar with some friends of mine, and I found the men much more enjoyable to talk to since they don't have the hangups like straight men do. I'm there to have fun, not describe what my bedroom looks like!!

untmdsprt-san! :wink:

I have never been to a gay bar and there is no reason for me to go but if you are more interest to know more about the topic check this out:

http://www.japanesepod101.com/forum/vie ... c768087b88

:flower:

Fedgrub
Expert on Something

Postby Fedgrub » November 20th, 2007 12:32 am

Yeah I might ask her, I just don't know whether it would offend her thats all. I try to be nice 8) haha

jemstone
Expert on Something

Postby jemstone » November 20th, 2007 1:48 am

remember to throw in a funny "huh" look to disarm her (it looks kindda like O_o this).. =P

Fedgrub
Expert on Something

Postby Fedgrub » November 20th, 2007 5:14 am

How the hell do you do that over email?! haha. I think I know your answer...

jemstone
Expert on Something

Postby jemstone » November 20th, 2007 6:02 am

you highlight the face from my post, then use the almighty copy+paste combo. =P

did you guess my answer correctly?

Fedgrub
Expert on Something

Postby Fedgrub » November 20th, 2007 10:16 pm

Yes I did hahaha. These damn faces!

Return to “General Japanese Culture”