Or sign up using Facebook

Skiing in Japan

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Fedgrub
Expert on Something

Skiing in Japan

Postby Fedgrub » November 6th, 2007 12:11 am

Hey guys,

I am a travel agent and often get asked about what type of accomodation there is in Japan. The wholesalers tell me that the accomodation is Western based, not traditional styles. I tend to believe that this is the case, but I was wondering whether I am correct in believing this? Also, does anyone know of any ski areas which offer traditional accomodation?

I heard they also don't offer tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms, which I found interesting until I remembered that sake is probably a priority to them haha.

JonB
Expert on Something

I have not done much skiing here

Postby JonB » November 6th, 2007 5:33 am

but I think you should be able to find traditional accomodation. By traditional I assume that you mean Ryokan? The most popular area for foreigners I think tends to be Niseko in sapporo and as that is run largely by Australians (to my knowledge) that is probably why you are hearing about Western Style. Aslo let's face it tradional Japanese buildings are not so warm in the snow...

Hakuba is also a good area, though not been there myself. Try "ski japan ryokan" in google and it should throw up some options.

As to tea and coffee making facilities in the room I am not sure I have stayed anywhere in Japan without those so I find that a little strange.

Get 40% OFF
Fedgrub
Expert on Something

Postby Fedgrub » November 6th, 2007 6:17 am

Thats interesting, the wholesaler kept telling me how there are no tea and coffee making facilities. Annoying! haha

As for Sapporo, thats where I book most people. Not because I am Australian, just because that is where most people want to ski. But like you said, if they wanted traditional Japanese housing/accomodation they would freeze! haha

Return to “General Japanese Culture”