Or sign up using Facebook

Gedo Senki

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Gedo Senki

Postby jkid » August 24th, 2006 1:22 pm

Thoughts and comments?

Does anybody know when the film will be released outside of Japan?

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » August 25th, 2006 12:26 am

According to some sites 2009 for US. something about a rights issue with SciFi channel. Maybe Ghibli don't own US rights to LeGunns works.
Even then I'd say it'd be a dub audiences being what they are :( . Until it gets a US release I don't hold out much hope for anywhere else in English speaking world.
(The rest of world tends to get recycled US prints on the more limited releases, and subtitled animation usually ranks as a limited release compared to Action Blockbusters)
Although there is a subtitled print at the Venice Film Festival so if I'm lucky the London Film Festival might get it this October.

I'm hoping for a Japanese DVD release within a year and I'd be quite happy with that as Ghibli usually have English Subs (it'l be a while before I can do without subs).

fan sites
http://www.ghibliworld.com/news.html
http://www.nausicaa.net/

Get 40% OFF
nichol
New in Town

Postby nichol » September 4th, 2006 6:08 pm

I watched this just last night. I didn't dislike it, but I've been really bored with Hayao Miyazaki's movies since (and including) Mononoke Hime. They seem a bit formulaic. Obviously this wasn't even directed by him, but it seems like Goro tried to emulate his style quite a bit. My favourite Ghibli movies are the more laid-back ones like Mimi wo Sumaseba (Whispers of the Heart) and Omoide Poro Poro.

Even worse, I was kind of excited to see this and read some of the Earthsea novels in advance. I got really engrossed in the world and was excited to see it put on film. In the end, the movie didn't even get that right. It glosses over a lot of the really interesting bits but doesn't have an interesting enough story to make up for it.

Even worse than Sen to Chihiro. :/

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » September 5th, 2006 8:48 am

nichol wrote:I watched this just last night. I didn't dislike it, but I've been really bored with Hayao Miyazaki's movies since (and including) Mononoke Hime. They seem a bit formulaic. Obviously this wasn't even directed by him, but it seems like Goro tried to emulate his style quite a bit. My favourite Ghibli movies are the more laid-back ones like Mimi wo Sumaseba (Whispers of the Heart) and Omoide Poro Poro.

Even worse, I was kind of excited to see this and read some of the Earthsea novels in advance. I got really engrossed in the world and was excited to see it put on film. In the end, the movie didn't even get that right. It glosses over a lot of the really interesting bits but doesn't have an interesting enough story to make up for it.

Even worse than Sen to Chihiro. :/

Agree. They're all quite formulaic, and I didn't really care for Mononoke Hime that much either.

Tonari no Totoro is the best. (The plot is slow, but who doesn't laugh their ass off at Neko Basu?) And Kurenai no Buta is highly underrated, I think. Howl's Moving Castle had some decent things in it as well, but the same played-out predictable ending.

Sen to Chihiro was mediocre. Some of the animation was pretty damn incredible, but the story, which started off well, really fell to pieces. And the ending was BS.

Watching some of the older ones, like Laputa, you can really see where a lot of the Final Fantasy story came from, which I used to enjoy when I was younger. So those movies are interesting for "historical reasons", but they're just too damn long to be sittable.

At least for me. But I'm no expert. Hayao is the only anime I've watched since Astroboy.

nichol
New in Town

Postby nichol » September 5th, 2006 5:01 pm

Interesting you mentioned Kurenai no Buta. It's like, the only Miyazaki Hayao movie that is more than it seems, rather than seeming like more than it is.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » September 6th, 2006 9:20 am

nichol wrote:Interesting you mentioned Kurenai no Buta. It's like, the only Miyazaki Hayao movie that is more than it seems, rather than seeming like more than it is.

Unbelievably well put.

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”