a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

SpanishPod101

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

RebelDogg
Been Around a Bit

SpanishPod101

Postby RebelDogg » September 21st, 2009 8:27 pm

Recently I've been slacking on my Japanese studies. Mostly due to work and personal problems. I'm still interested in the language, but the task is seeming so much more impossible than it did a couple of months ago. So rather than turn a fun hobby into a chore, I think I'm going to put it on the back burner for a while (OH the money I've spent on books! :lol: )

Although I do intend to continue studying Kanji (RTK) because I find it to be very interesting and fun and (as far as just writing and recognizing characters) fairly easy.

Anyway, I still am intent on learning a new language and have decided that even though I'm less interested in Spanish it's a lot more useful here in the US. Also, with movies most have Spanish audio/subs. Which I think would be helpful. Plus I have a friend from Puerto Rico. No Japanese friends... except my Hello Kitty doll. And she doesn't talk. Much.

Anyway, all that above was pointless introduction to a simple question:

Anyone ever try SpanishPod101.com? I've been happy with JPod but I'm not sure if SpanishPod101 is up to the same standards. I believe there is a free trial over there like there was here so I'll try that. But if anyone has used them (or if you know a better one) please post about it here.

Sorry for the long post! Thanks!

spare_change
Been Around a Bit

Postby spare_change » September 21st, 2009 10:12 pm

I tried it out briefly. Its pretty cool.

Get 40% OFF
Jessi
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jessi » September 24th, 2009 1:53 am

I actually listen it too, as I don't get to use/hear Spanish often here in Japan :cry: (I learned Spanish before Japanese) The format of the podcast is the same as JapanesePod101, so it should be really easy for you to get into. :D The hosts sound like they're having a lot of fun, so I think it has the same feel/atmosphere that Jpod101 does.

I hope you'll come back to Japanese again at some point, though! :wink: But good luck with Spanish!
♪ JapanesePod101.com ♪ 好評配信中!
Leave us a message in the forum if you have any comments, questions, or feedback!

RebelDogg
Been Around a Bit

Postby RebelDogg » September 24th, 2009 9:29 pm

I just started using it. If anyone is interested:

So far I like it but I miss a few things from JPod. Mainly the talking dictionary. I hope they implement that over there soon!

I've only listened to the first 15 newbie lessons so far since yesterday and am still working through the PDF's. They seem a bit wooden and scripted, but maybe it's just while they're new. Hopefully they come into they're own in later lessons.

Question: Did Peter write the scripts? :lol: Seriously Alan and Lizzy remind me of Peter and Naomi Sensei! I have to snicker at Lizzy accent sometimes, though. Not trying to be rude, but some of her words need work. Namely "Focused" (See Hellboy II) and "Beaches." :lol:

The PDF's kind of leave something to be desired. But again, I've only just started in the newbie series so they might get better later on. I haven't snuck ahead to look. But I remember the PDF's getting much better in Nihongo Dojo (Newbie series 2) so maybe it's the same there.

All in all, it doesn't feel like home yet. But I'll give it time. I'll report back here before my subscription runs out just in case anyone over here is thinking of trying Spanish.

And P. S. to Jessi: I'm definitely not done here! I just need to be realistic about what I can achieve right now. I have the help of a native speaker and am surrounded by Mexicans. Plus I can use Spanish in my every day life. But I still am in love with Japanese culture and language!

Although so far I have to watch myself learning Spanish. I keep accidentally slipping in は's and ですね's :roll: Spanish and Japanese are not all that dissimilar.

salivia_baker
Been Around a Bit

Postby salivia_baker » September 24th, 2009 11:00 pm

RebelDogg wrote:I just started using it. If anyone is interested:

I am interested. I learned Spanish in school and thought I might listen to SpanishPod to keep at least some knowledge because I don't have much exposure in my daily life and it would be too sad if I'd forget everything.

After what you wrote I guess I will have another look. Thanks for your comment on that :)

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » September 26th, 2009 12:33 am

Mina-san! :wink:

If anyone is interest I can help you with your Spanish! Feel free to contact me (see JP101 forum profile) NOTE: I know Mexican Spanish only, if that's OK with you then add me up, thank you. :D

katy87
New in Town

Postby katy87 » December 20th, 2009 1:05 pm

hi! since I have purchased a 2 years premium membership here at JP101.com, I thought I could make use of that "50% off when subscribing to another language" offer, so I had a chance to see how KoreanClass, GermanPod101 and SpanishPod101 looked like.
First of all, I have to tell you, that JP101 has the BIGGEST amount of lessons and materials available so far, in comparison with Germanpod101, where I was quite disappointed. But back to your question - Spanishpod101 is probably the second most extensive podcast right after JP and it has similar standards (although I consider JP to be a little bit better). After a month of basic subscription I have decided to extend it for another month of premium subscription and I was pleasantly suprised. I cancelled my membership after that month since I didnt have enough time to spend with their podcasts (JP is enough for me), but I think I can highly recommend it (unlike GermanPod101 lol).

PS: I also have to confess that until recently I havent known that there are 2 sites that are actually completely different: SpanishPod.com and SpanishPod101.com
I have also checked the first site (which does not come from 101.com family) and I think I can say that their lessons are a little bit funnier to listen than at SP101.com I have not checked their study materials and tools though,.

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”