a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

E-mail from NBC

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

The Frankensteiner
Expert on Something

E-mail from NBC

Postby The Frankensteiner » July 3rd, 2006 1:40 pm

So someone from NBC e-mailed my brother and I at "Humpski Productions" and wants to use "The Master Disaster" for their new TV show, coming in the fall. Pretty cool eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcezUQtrpUw

Only thing is we never got permission to use that Matrix music. I don't want to get sued for a billion dollars. I don't think I have the original footage anymore to re-edit it either.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=23680

What a pickle...

Belton
Expert on Something

Re: E-mail from NBC

Postby Belton » July 3rd, 2006 2:19 pm

The Frankensteiner wrote:
Only thing is we never got permission to use that Matrix music. I don't want to get sued for a billion dollars. I don't think I have the original footage anymore to re-edit it either.

What a pickle...

Congrats, (omedetou)

Redub the edit master. You do still have that even if you don't have the rushes?

'Fess up. NBC might have a way of getting rights clearance.

I think in the UK music used like this can usually be blanket cleared by filling out the correct usage logs when the BBC blatantly lifts music to put over items.
That said however where I work we had the headache of getting special clearance for something like 10 secs of the film "Carousel" that was in a scene of a student film. It cost about £500 for a single screening late night on a national channel. I think originally they wanted £1000's. !! :(

The moral is it's cheaper and less of a headache to make everything original if you want a wide audience.

Get 40% OFF
The Frankensteiner
Expert on Something

Postby The Frankensteiner » July 3rd, 2006 2:34 pm

True, but I'm no musician.
Plus I didn't really aim for a wide audience originally. The opportunity just came to me.

Totty
New in Town

Wow...nice job!

Postby Totty » September 27th, 2006 7:05 am

Well congrats on the NBC stuff...that's pretty big time.

And I just want to say that I think your choreography in those vids are really top rate. It really looks like you guys have a knack for it.

Good luck with it!

lulu_chan
Been Around a Bit

Postby lulu_chan » October 9th, 2006 8:39 pm

omg...the video was brill!!! fantastic job!I loved it! To be doing this at such a young age...impressive.

and, what is NBC using..the video to insert into a show? or your idea? this is FAB news!!

and, as Belton stated, i would not worry about the rights...NBC SHOULD be able to get clearances...though, it also depends on the price tag. I know when i worked at Lifetime getting clearances for photos, video/film clips, you still had to pay their fee..and depending how "precious" or "in-demand" the photos are, the price changes.

I also have a friend who is a VP for stuff like this. It will cost NBC and, it's probably a price that's enough to make you sweat..but it's NOTHING to them. It will work out!

WAY TO GO!!

Omedettou!!! ^_____^

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”