a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

my first conversation!

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

metablue
Expert on Something

my first conversation!

Postby metablue » June 11th, 2006 7:37 am

Today I had my first real conversation that was completely in Japanese! I was playing FFXI and I joined a party with only Japanese people. One of them was really helpful. He listened to my attempts to speak and tried to understand what I was saying. He corrected me a few times when I got it wrong and kept it all in hiragana when I said I didn't understand kanji. He explained to the others that I was an American who understood some Japanese (I'm not really, but close enough). We played together for a few hours and we didn't speak a word of English the whole time, but I felt like we'd actually talked! It was really cool!

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: my first conversation!

Postby Bueller_007 » June 11th, 2006 11:53 am

metablue wrote:Today I had my first real conversation that was completely in Japanese! I was playing FFXI and I joined a party with only Japanese people. One of them was really helpful. He listened to my attempts to speak and tried to understand what I was saying. He corrected me a few times when I got it wrong and kept it all in hiragana when I said I didn't understand kanji. He explained to the others that I was an American who understood some Japanese (I'm not really, but close enough). We played together for a few hours and we didn't speak a word of English the whole time, but I felt like we'd actually talked! It was really cool!

Hahaha. Don't worry about it. We're all "Americans".

Congrats!

Get 40% OFF
Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » June 11th, 2006 12:56 pm

Cool. :) Did you arrange to play with them again later? You might could work out a regular schedule or something.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”