a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

iPhone in Japan? Is it ever coming?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

sTeVe aUsTiN
Been Around a Bit

iPhone in Japan? Is it ever coming?

Postby sTeVe aUsTiN » April 9th, 2008 5:22 am

I heard the talks with DoCoMo and SoftBank stalled. I figure AU would balk at the same points that those 2 companies did since the Japanese market is so different from other countries. The phones here seriously rule already, but is the iPhone ever coming?

JonB
Expert on Something

honestly

Postby JonB » April 11th, 2008 1:18 am

who cares!

Don't get me wrong I love Apple products but I have no intention of buying a phone with the current prices or contracts.

Sorry - but I am a bit of a luddite when it comes to mobile phones :D

Get 40% OFF
aehlke
New in Town

Postby aehlke » June 12th, 2008 2:11 pm

It's coming to Japan but it's not going to be as big a hit there as in America.

iPhone's nice but seriously lacking in features compared to other Japanese phones..

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » June 12th, 2008 3:44 pm

I'm thinking this might change given the company's latest announcements both in price and functionality. The thing is a bit novel for my needs, but you can't deny that they're cool.
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » June 13th, 2008 5:27 am

I think mainly foreigners will buy it - since my last comment I bought a Nano and lost my phone. I love the nano - excellent for the gym and I am happy with a cheap phone in case I leave it in a taxi again!!

This being Japan though I got my phone back and no outbound calls had been made.

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » June 13th, 2008 5:34 am

i contacted softbank yesterday about getting on the waiting list.
still waiting for the call back, but they said some Tokyo shops will be doing pre-orders, so i'm psyched 8)

i disagree.
i think it'll be huge because apple has a massive brand appeal here and japanese consumers tend to buy 'status items' more than americans. an iphone has both status and great functionality in the states. in japan, it will just be status - namely, having the "cool phone" first and being seen with it.

basically, i just wanna watch youtube videos on it... and be seen with it.
god, i'm so shallow. :lol:
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

elau1986
Been Around a Bit

Postby elau1986 » June 13th, 2008 8:11 am

i'm considering getting an iPhone 3G too :evil: only one month until it reaches Australia, excited ~

Hamiltoons
New in Town

Postby Hamiltoons » June 13th, 2008 12:53 pm

I bought the iPOD Touch for my birthday this past January. Now that the 3G is coming out I might just switch to the iPhone. I'll wait to see what size memory it has first. I've used the Touch every day since I bought it. I've watched TV shows, movies, videos, listened to my music and now listen to my Japanesepod101 lessons on it. I figure if the 3G has more memory for less money then I can give my wife my old iPOD Touch and I'll get myself the new phone.

aehlke
New in Town

Postby aehlke » June 13th, 2008 1:59 pm

markystar wrote:i contacted softbank yesterday about getting on the waiting list.
still waiting for the call back, but they said some Tokyo shops will be doing pre-orders, so i'm psyched 8)

i disagree.
i think it'll be huge because apple has a massive brand appeal here and japanese consumers tend to buy 'status items' more than americans. an iphone has both status and great functionality in the states. in japan, it will just be status - namely, having the "cool phone" first and being seen with it.

basically, i just wanna watch youtube videos on it... and be seen with it.
god, i'm so shallow. :lol:

Other smartphones have failed miserably in Japan. Also, the iPod doesn't seem to have nearly as much popularity in Japan, since they have so many other popular players.

Have you really seen the other Japanese cellphones at the top? There's a lot more good competition for the iPhone in Japan than the US, by far.

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » June 13th, 2008 10:42 pm

Yeah, Japanese cellphones are pretty amazing... :shock: still, marky has a point. Though if they don't have those little clips where girls can clip on those cute little holder doodads...

... guess we'll just have to wait and see.
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

sTeVe aUsTiN
Been Around a Bit

Postby sTeVe aUsTiN » June 14th, 2008 6:37 am

Also, the iPod doesn't seem to have nearly as much popularity in Japan, since they have so many other popular players.

iPod is the number selling mp3 player in Japan. I see them everywhere.

And I agree with the status thing. Having an iPod in Japan is the "cool" thing.

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Re: ...

Postby Jason » June 14th, 2008 9:01 am

Hamiltoons wrote:I bought the iPOD Touch for my birthday this past January. Now that the 3G is coming out I might just switch to the iPhone. I'll wait to see what size memory it has first. I've used the Touch every day since I bought it. I've watched TV shows, movies, videos, listened to my music and now listen to my Japanesepod101 lessons on it. I figure if the 3G has more memory for less money then I can give my wife my old iPOD Touch and I'll get myself the new phone.

So far they've only announced 8GB and 16GB versions. That's one thing (other than not wanting to switch to AT&T) that's really holding me back for now. I have a 32GB iPod Touch now, and really want that extra 16GB. It was a pain to shuffle playlists and such around when I had a 16GB iPT.

I especially like it's GPS features. That's something I'll definitely need in Japan. :wink: Maybe they'll have larger GB versions by the time I get over there.

We are looking into doing some iPhone/iPT apps. I can't really say much more than that right now. But it's a platform I'm looking forward to learning and developing for (and already have had a little fun with).
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

プチクレア
Established Presence

Postby プチクレア » June 14th, 2008 4:18 pm

The Iphone is brilliant !!!!! I don't have too much experience with japanese cellphones (a few weeks here and there mostly), but as "western" phones, both traditional and smartphones, go, this is the best thing I've owned in years.

And I'm pretty excited because at last with the new firmware 2.0 there will be japanese input on the phone (previously I used my Ipod Touch for on-the-go japanese writing, but having this feature on the phone is going to be great).

Another real nice thing is that, at least as far as I know, this will be the only "western" phone that can be used in Japan too... meaning no more phone rental when I'm travelling. Of course fees might be prohibitive.

But for this reason only I will certainly change my first generation Iphone for a new 3G this july.
さっぱり分からない !...

Psy
Expert on Something

Re: ...

Postby Psy » June 14th, 2008 8:30 pm

Jason wrote:We are looking into doing some iPhone/iPT apps. I can't really say much more than that right now. But it's a platform I'm looking forward to learning and developing for (and already have had a little fun with).

Just to throw it out there, although I'm only freshly inducted into the world that is Cocoa/Cocoa-touch programming, if this is an informal operation and you're in need of another head...

... or y'know, I could always become your competition, since Japanese-language apps are some of my development objectives.

JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » June 16th, 2008 2:40 am

プチクレア wrote:Another real nice thing is that, at least as far as I know, this will be the only "western" phone that can be used in Japan too...

Any 3G phone should work here - the problem being the coverage. 3G is great in metroploitan areas but disappears rapidly as you go into the countryside.

I moved back from my 3G Vodafone nokia to AU a couple of years back and will not be switching any time soon - and I am a big Apple fan, it's just nice to make a phone call when you want without having to hunt for service availability.

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”