Simple question, simple answer :wink:

IF yes, where have you been?

IF no, why not, and will you?
あなたの敵を許しなさい。だが、その名前は決して忘れるな

デスノートにお前の名前書くぞ!!

Harv
Established Presence

Postby Harv » February 10th, 2008 3:24 pm

Not yet mainly because I haven't really had enough money to do so and partly because of my low level of Japanese, although I'm sure I'd be fine even if I didn't know any Japanese.

I plan to go this summer and to be honest I have no reason why I can't so I most likely will. I just have to find the right time to go.

Get 40% OFF
プチクレア
Established Presence

Postby プチクレア » February 10th, 2008 5:39 pm

Yep !!!

Six times already... and planning to go back in september or october. And no sooner just because I haven't got the money at this point...
さっぱり分からない !...

josiah
Expert on Something

Postby josiah » February 10th, 2008 10:27 pm

6 times eh? Where have you been to in Japan and what did you do there? :wink:

i've been to japan three times,
first time was on a short-term mission trip with OMF Japan to tokyo in december 2005, and i also took a bus up to kanazawa, not kanagawa and went snowboarding for a week with some japanese mates who love there.
2nd and 3rd times were just last year in august and november respectively :roll:

prob not again this year, tho its possible, prob early january next year back to my home town of kobe :)

デスノートにお前の名前書くぞ!!

Rizu
Established Presence

Postby Rizu » February 10th, 2008 10:48 pm

Not yet. Going this Oct-Nov for our honeymoon! :D

プチクレア
Established Presence

Postby プチクレア » February 11th, 2008 7:33 am

I went there as a tourist mostly, and for rather short periods of time (usually around 10 days, and two longer 3 weeks stays) :

- first time I went to Tokyo-Kyoto-Osaka (standard tourist trip I guess), but it was quite short so I ended up dead tired and hadn't seen half of what I wanted.

- 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th times I went to Tokyo to see friends. When I was there, and on separate occasions, I went to Nikko, Yokohama (not really a big trip in itself, but very nice), Kamakura, Ghibli Museum in Mitaka (once again more of a day excursion than any thing else), Hakone...but basically I enjoyed the city. I really love the energetic feeling it has.

- 3rd time was a long stay in Kansai area : 1 week in Kyoto, 1 week in Osaka, and 3 days in Nara in between. I also went to Hiei-zan and Uji on this trip

I don't know yet about this autumn, but next big plans include

- South western part of Honshu (basically from Kobe to Hiroshima and Miyajima) and after that Kyushu
- Okinawa (and maybe a short hop over to Korea)
- I'd love to see Hokkaido, tell myself everytime that I should go in winter, but I'm rather afraid of the cold (anything under 5°C is way too cold for me...)

The REALLY big plan is coming over to Japan as a post-graduate student for 18-24 months, but that won't be for another 3-4 years probably.
さっぱり分からない !...

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » February 12th, 2008 9:29 pm

プチクレア wrote:I'd love to see Hokkaido, tell myself everytime that I should go in winter, but I'm rather afraid of the cold (anything under 5°C is way too cold for me...)

Been there, done that. My only trip (thus far) included visiting the Sapporo snow festival, along with other scenic spots on the island. The average temperature (not counting the snowstorms) was a balmy -7c. Admittedly this was in the dead of winter, but it should give a good idea of what you'd be in for.

Never would have survived it without long johns. I live in Florida, you see... :lol:
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

Tats
New in Town

Postby Tats » February 12th, 2008 11:53 pm

I made it to Japan with a friend in summer of last year - 10 days doing the touristy thing in Tokyo (with a day trip out to Kamakura). I'm convinced I made a total idiot out of myself by forgetting any amount of japanese I'd learnt in the months previous. Remembered 'kudasai' at least, so I was a polite idiot....

Saw and did a lot of the touristy Tokyo, and rode round and round and round on the JR Yamanote train line. Sounds silly, but a highlight of the trip. The other was getting stopped by kids while visiting Sensou-ji in Asakusa, who'd travelled from somewhere in Nagano to practice their 'English lessons'. Waaaaaaay kawaii.

I'm hoping to go back soon (alas, money stops me) with the confidence to do more, with better language skills, and for a lot longer. Possibly with people living over there or more experienced to see more than just the same old tourist things. And maybe futher ut of Tokyo.

That, and I'll hopefully be spending my 3rd year of university living over there.
But thats faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar far off.

プチクレア
Established Presence

Postby プチクレア » February 13th, 2008 7:08 am

Tats wrote:The other was getting stopped by kids while visiting Sensou-ji in Asakusa, who'd travelled from somewhere in Nagano to practice their 'English lessons'. Waaaaaaay kawaii.

可愛いね!

The cutest thing that happened to me was in a 回転寿しrestaurant. I was with a Slovak friend (who's at Ferris University at the moment in Yokohama) and we were sitting close to a kid who was always asking for "わさび抜き” sushi, one after the other. After half an hour or so, we asked him what was wrong with wasabi. He couldn't believe we spoke japanese !
さっぱり分からない !...

josiah
Expert on Something

Postby josiah » February 13th, 2008 2:03 pm

プチクレア wrote: ...3rd time was a long stay in Kansai area : 1 week in Kyoto, 1 week in Osaka, and 3 days in Nara in between. I also went to Hiei-zan and Uji on this trip... next big plans include basically from Kobe to Hiroshima and Miyajima) and after that Kyushu...

i just couldn't help but notice, but why didn't you go to kobe when you went to osaka or kyoto? sannomiya station is only about 30 mins from osaka.
when i go home i always take the hankyu railway line (the maroon train) from umeda and sannomiya is the last station. you really missed out that time, kobe is fantastic, such a contrast to loud busy osaka, and you have to check out kobe bay,
beautiful! :D
i've been to kyoto a few times, also a short train ride from osaka, just take the JR-kyoto line there. i visited this museum/old city which my girlfriend thought i'd like, and we went to the famous temple where we walked for like 6 hours that day because we didn't wanna take the subway and were unable to get bikes! AND THIS WAS THE MIDDLE OF AUGUST!! :shock:
haven;t been to tokyo for a while, maybe i should go see my friends over there sometime...

デスノートにお前の名前書くぞ!!

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » February 13th, 2008 7:32 pm

I haven't been yet. Still in grad school. Both of those should hopefully change by the end of the year.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Postby kc8ufv » February 13th, 2008 9:51 pm

I have never been. If my job situation improves, and allows for it, I may take a trip in August, partially to go to ハムフェア2008 and may see if TSCI has any events in Toyohashi around then.

josiah
Expert on Something

Postby josiah » February 25th, 2008 1:16 am

you haven't been
jason?
i'd thought you were
presently in japan

will you go to teach english
or do something else
altogether?

デスノートにお前の名前書くぞ!!

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » February 25th, 2008 1:24 am

josiah wrote:you haven't been
jason?
i'd thought you were
presently in japan

will you go to teach english
or do something else
altogether?

Nope. Not yet. I'm hoping I'll be working at JPod HQ there.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

josiah
Expert on Something

Postby josiah » February 25th, 2008 1:26 am

nice one

whats your major?

デスノートにお前の名前書くぞ!!

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”