a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Your spoken Japanese!

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

josiah
Expert on Something

Your spoken Japanese!

Postby josiah » January 30th, 2008 3:14 am

seeing various topics about your techniques in studying japanese in written and listening format,
i'd like to know how everyone practices their verbal japanese.
i know that japanesepod101 can't truly facilitate this, unless they were to open up language exchange schools in a Nova way :lol:
so how do you practice your spoken japanese?
as for myself, i have plenty of japanese friends with whom i can practice with, both on msn, and in person.
so how bout you guys?
and any helpful study techniques on how to improve your spoken japanese?
あなたの敵を許しなさい。だが、その名前は決して忘れるな

デスノートにお前の名前書くぞ!!

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » January 30th, 2008 5:07 am

Me? I'm out of luck. Online, the friends that I do have are seldom online or able; In real life, uses for Japanese are so rare that I'd almost be better off learning colloquial Twi.

Might explain why I know so many kanji. :?
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

Get 40% OFF
Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Re: Your spoken Japanese!

Postby Jason » January 30th, 2008 5:36 am

josiah wrote:language exchange schools in a Nova way :lol:

You mean by screwing hundreds of loyal employees out of months worth of wages? (hehe, sorry. Couldn't resist).

But on topic, speaking has always been and still is my weakest area due to lack of practice. I don't really have a good way to practice.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Postby kc8ufv » January 30th, 2008 5:45 am

josiah wrote:seeing various topics about your techniques in studying japanese in written and listening format,
i'd like to know how everyone practices their verbal japanese.
i know that japanesepod101 can't truly facilitate this, unless they were to open up language exchange schools in a Nova way :lol:
so how do you practice your spoken japanese?
as for myself, i have plenty of japanese friends with whom i can practice with, both on msn, and in person.
so how bout you guys?
and any helpful study techniques on how to improve your spoken japanese?

For me, I try to make it to the Ann Arbor Japanese meetup (see japanese.meetup.com to find a group in your area) each month, and periodically try to stir up a contact on IRLP reflector 9202.

josiah
Expert on Something

Postby josiah » February 1st, 2008 2:35 pm

Jason wrote:
josiah wrote:language exchange schools in a Nova way :lol:

You mean by screwing hundreds of loyal employees out of months worth of wages? (hehe, sorry. Couldn't resist).

:lol: knew someone would take that bait!

i'm supposing byt the lack of replies people don't really have a problem with speaking?

any suggestions so we can fill in the gap for people who struggle in this area like our friends psy and jason here?

デスノートにお前の名前書くぞ!!

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » February 1st, 2008 4:04 pm

I think anybody who doesn't have a problem speaking has either studied their @$$ off and lived in Japan long enough to develop a native-level fluency and accent, or is one of the people who are oblivious to the amount of improvement they're speaking desperately needs.

Since I'm one of those who does have a problem, I've been working through 日本語生中継 and have ordered the Shadowing workbook from White Rabbit Press, both of which focus on developing speaking skills, so I'll let you know if they're helpful. I think, though, we all realise the harsh reality that only a monster vocabulary, a level one understanding of grammar, years of repetition, and at least some time spent living in Japan is going to get us to where we want to be :(

プチクレア
Established Presence

Postby プチクレア » February 1st, 2008 4:44 pm

josiah wrote:
i'm supposing byt the lack of replies people don't really have a problem with speaking?

I wish...

Truth is, I do have a big problem with speaking, and know of no real way to improve that. I guess your best friend is skype when it comes to spoken language exchange, but even with the "skype me" feature I never feel confident enough to just ring someone out of the blue for a quick chat.

Though kc8ufv's link seems pretty useful ! I found a group near the place I live, and if I can make it to next meeting( twice monthly it seems) I might give it a try.
さっぱり分からない !...

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » February 1st, 2008 6:23 pm

this is a subject close to my heart...

i am engaged to a girl whose parents can't speak english. in order to make clear that my intentions are honorable, i try my best to show how 上手 i am... but the sad fact is... if i take my time and write them a letter, it will be far better than whatever comes out of my mouth.

the stuff is "in there" (in my head), but the connection from brain to mouth doesn't always flow. maybe i'm getting old or... who knows....

unfortunately, josiahさん has hit on a very important point: without constant immersion in japanese, your brain→mouth time will have a lag. that said, it truly is IN THERE, so it's a question of exercising the part of your brain that gets it out.

obviously JPOD101 doesn't have a way to do that right now. but don't let that discourage you.

MIXI or MSN or SKYPE are a great way to practice your written japanese. JPOD101 will DEFINITELY improve your vocab and listening skills and reading skills. the next step is... well, probably moving to Japan.

i also recommend something about language exchange...
japanese people who speak english (or your language) are a bad group to hang out with if you wanna speak japanese well.
if they speak better english than you speak japanese, you'll always default to english. if you speak better japanese than they speak english = you're in business.
if you try language exchange, set up rules. (eg; 1 hour japanese, 1 hour english) forbid the use of your native langauge in those exchanges (when it's your turn).
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

maxiewawa
Expert on Something

Postby maxiewawa » February 2nd, 2008 3:26 am

Hey guys, if you're looking for a Skype partner head over to http://www.englishpod101.com , if you didn't know it's jPod reversed; we teach English to Japanese people. You're sure to find a native Japanese speaker learning English there.

JonB
Expert on Something

oh I wish

Postby JonB » February 4th, 2008 3:03 am

I live in Japan and have been for 7 years so you would think immersed - right? Wrong!! I live in Tokyo and understand Markystar's brain to mouth connection thing.

I think one of the problems is the text books - most text books do not use real life situations which is what makes JapanesePod101 so great and I really should put aside more time to study with it.

On the plus side I am learning more as my son is growing up bilingual - it may be baby stuff but it is defintely improving.

Still can't speak to the inlaws :oops:

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » February 4th, 2008 6:53 am

when i go out i force myself to use japanese. if i'm with other foreigners at dinner, for example, i take it upon myself to be the point man for all transactions with clerks, waiters, etc... part relieves them of the stress of having to try japanese (which they don't study) and gives me the practice.

the other things is taking a taxi.
i always chat up the taxi drivers cuz you have a captive audience. no matter how boring your stories or questions are, they have to speak to you (cuz you're the customer) and they probably can't speak any english. i always start off asking them about their hometown. and then i get all kinds of crazy stories about parts of japan i've never been too. :lol:

marky
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

josiah
Expert on Something

Postby josiah » February 13th, 2008 1:59 am

the other things is taking a taxi.

that seems like an expensive way to learn, why not talk to random japanese on the street like me? :lol:

デスノートにお前の名前書くぞ!!

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”