Or sign up using Facebook

Study Time

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

gordonmac
New in Town

Study Time

Postby gordonmac » June 18th, 2007 4:35 pm

Hey folks,

I know that this question is fairly subjective, but I was wondering how long, on average, people here study Japanese for on a daily basis? and how long their study sessions last.

After about an hour of attempting to get my head wrapped around a concept of grammar, or whatever, my head really starts to thump, and at the end of it I feel more frustrated than fulfilled by the attempt.

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions that are general enough to be useful to everyone learning Japanese.

Thanks in advance.

Gordon Mackay

padrik
Established Presence

Postby padrik » June 18th, 2007 4:54 pm

I have always been bad at studying, any subject. So for Japanese, I tend to read and write at work anytime I get 5 mins free, doodle kanji, etc.. I download Japanese tv, and watch it on Sunday nights on AZN. I read for about 15 mins everynight before sleeping. Basically I dont have any set hours per day, but rather little blocks of it throughout the day.

Get 40% OFF
annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » June 19th, 2007 11:36 am

I go through phases.
The week before the JLPT I was studying for about 8 hours a day. (mostly because I was at school with no lessons to teach)

Nowadays, I actively study for about 90 minutes, three or four times a week. And I tend to alternate between kanji, grammar, and reading.

But I passively study (watch Japanese tv, have conversations in Japanese) for a lot of my day (living in Japan)

gordonmac
New in Town

Postby gordonmac » June 19th, 2007 11:45 am

Thanks for the info folks. I appreciate it.

I know that everyone's attention span is different, I was just curious to see what the averages were.

Annie, it's certainly true that living in Japan would certainly bring about an element of forced learning... but when I was in Japan I found the rate of speech so hard to keep up with that I just looked very confused most of the time :)

Thanks again for the responses, appreciated!

TheProfessorOne
Established Presence

Postby TheProfessorOne » June 23rd, 2007 3:34 pm

I hope I am not bumping an old thread.

*drops his two cents*

I personally use my MP3 player quite a bit for study purposes while commuting. My commute isn't all that long, however it does give me enough time to run through the podcast once or twice and place a focus on my brain for the day.

I try to visit some Japanese site during my lunch break seeing as I sit at a PC All day. I also use a free program called Flazzle to run through some flash cards when I get a free 5 or 10 minutes at work or at home.

Like another poster said, I try to break it up between kanji, grammar, and listening/speaking to myself while I drive my wife nuts. :P

I am still very much a beginner, but once I broke through the first few weeks of learning hiragana and katakana, everything got better and I am picking up steam.

Just keep at it is all I can say.
Guidelines | FAQ | あなたはぜっこうちょうですか?

rateoforange
New in Town

Postby rateoforange » June 24th, 2007 4:35 am

I study about an hour a day. I think the important thing is just to study every day. I find that material slips away from me if I take a couple days off.

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Re: Study Time

Postby Ulver_684 » June 28th, 2007 12:38 am

gordonmac wrote:Hey folks,

I know that this question is fairly subjective, but I was wondering how long, on average, people here study Japanese for on a daily basis? and how long their study sessions last.

After about an hour of attempting to get my head wrapped around a concept of grammar, or whatever, my head really starts to thump, and at the end of it I feel more frustrated than fulfilled by the attempt.

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions that are general enough to be useful to everyone learning Japanese.

Thanks in advance.

Gordon Mackay

Gordon-san! :wink:

I study Japanese/another languages 2 hours a day because I also have a life you know! 8) :wink:

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”