a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Softbank phone compatibility with Docomo

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Softbank phone compatibility with Docomo

Postby Jason » March 23rd, 2007 12:34 am

Does anyone know if Softbank phones are compatible with Docomo's services? What about other carriers?
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

JonB
Expert on Something

No

Postby JonB » March 23rd, 2007 2:05 am

They are different providers. I assume you are referring to the imode service but each provider has it's own solution to that.

If you mean share their cell nodes then definitely not.

Not sure if I am understanding the question ?!?!?

Get 40% OFF
Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: Softbank phone compatibility with Docomo

Postby Bueller_007 » March 23rd, 2007 6:27 am

Jason wrote:Does anyone know if Softbank phones are compatible with Docomo's services? What about other carriers?

Assume you're meaning "if I buy a Softbank phone and cancel my contract, can I use it if I sign up with Docomo?"

I'm about 100% sure the answer is "no".

JonB
Expert on Something

I won't bet against you

Postby JonB » March 24th, 2007 10:46 am

I'm about 100% sure the answer is "no".

When it was vodafone even the phones with SIM cards were locked to Vodafone Japan
SIM cards so whe you went abroad you could not use a local prepaid SIM in your phone.

Most Japanese phones do not have SIM cards so there is not the option to do so - but why you would want to go to DOCOMO when they have been losing customers hand over fist to AU is beyond me...

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Re: I won't bet against you

Postby Jason » March 24th, 2007 11:03 am

JonB wrote:Most Japanese phones do not have SIM cards so there is not the option to do so - but why you would want to go to DOCOMO when they have been losing customers hand over fist to AU is beyond me...

Well, it's something I'm still researching. It'll still be a while until/if I can even move there.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

AdmiralAK
Been Around a Bit

Postby AdmiralAK » March 24th, 2007 3:42 pm

Both DoCoMo and Softbank use SIM cards.
Their phones are theoretically compatible - so voice and SMS will work if you pop out the softbank SIM and put in a DoCoMo SIM (and vice versa) however the phones must be unlocked! I know that DoCoMo does not unlock their phones, I do not know what Softbank's policies are.

Even if you had an unlocked softbank phone, some features, like iMode, will not work since I do not believe that softbank offers iMode service. Firmware on those phones is generally customized for the carrier, so if DoCoMo offers a certain feature on their phones, that feature might not work with a phone that is bought from another carrier.
-----------------------------------------
Club-Admiralty
Copyright 1996-Present
http://www.club-admiralty.com

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”