a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Japanesepod101 student test

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

petermerkel505
New in Town

Japanesepod101 student test

Postby petermerkel505 » May 1st, 2006 12:05 pm

This is a super-mini-test for japanespod101 students and “combo-fun-seekers” based on a paragraph found in http://www.nihongoresources.com Here we go:

“No, you don't know enough kanji once you know these 1945 kanji. You will need to learn roughly 1000 more kanji before you can consider yourself to truly be literate. When you know the 1945 or so kanji, you know about as many kanji as a sixteen year old would if they didn't read books on their own accord. This is hardly full literacy by any standard. To truly read nearly everything that can be thrown at you (save jargon), you will need to know around 3200-3500 kanji.”

How do you feel about that?

A Gosh…¡ Where´s the emergency exit?

B That´s easy. If I study ten kanjis a day (Jim Breen did it. I can do it) I will finish in just a year and I may still have free time.

C I don´t care about this. I don´t have any plan to read in Japanese, I just want to have fun and being able to ask for good sake or a return ticket in Japanese. I know I can do it in English anyway but knowing some Japanese makes me feel more relaxed once I am there. Whenever I don´t know something I will ask other people. They are truly nice and gentle (and many of them, as gallant as Peter)

Solution:
A You are a panic student. Turn off immediately your computer.
B You are an ignorant. Please, leave this web.
C Authentic Japanesepod101 student. Please, go to the subscription section and pay for the premium services. They are worth every penny and you will never lose your money.

Note:Gallant: A fashionable young man (from Old French galant) Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

Tarabasu
New in Town

Postby Tarabasu » May 1st, 2006 12:56 pm

...apparently im ignorant. I am going to force Kanji onto my brain, starting......NOW!

私 林 森 木 産 様 浜崎 歩み....

Get 40% OFF
The Frankensteiner
Expert on Something

Postby The Frankensteiner » May 1st, 2006 1:16 pm

I don't know if I can handle learning Kanji and Vocabulary at the same time. I'm sticking to the spoken language for now.
Find out what it's like to live, work and play in Japan!
http://guzenmedia.com/

Nathan
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Nathan » May 1st, 2006 1:20 pm

Peter-san,

Your post has been moved from 'Food & Entertainment' since it has little information truly relevant to the Japanese language, much less Japanese food or entertainment. We welcome you to express your opinion regarding JapanesePod101.com - good or bad, but in this post you are also potentially insulting listeners that may not share your personal Japanese-learning views. We would like our forums to be a friendly and nurturing environment for all listeners, so please try to keep your posts respectful and civil.

Thanks,
Nathan
JapanesePod101.com
Learn Japanese with FREE Daily Podcasts

http://www.japanesepod101.com
contactus@japanesepod101.com

MikeCassidy
Been Around a Bit

Student Test?

Postby MikeCassidy » May 1st, 2006 5:00 pm

Yeh it would be nice to know 2000-3000 kanji; it would nice to know more.
However telling someone to turn off their computer isn't very productive or helpful.

If I could read Japanese as well as a 16 year old native I feel pretty good.
Yes it would be nice to read Yukio Mishima's novels or Ippekiro's haiku in Japanese but that's a long way off. According to your post I sould quit - nah.

Hopefully I am wrong but this is the second post of yours I read whose purpose seems more to be superior and not helpful.

Brugg
Been Around a Bit

Postby Brugg » May 1st, 2006 5:13 pm

Is it just me, or does this smell slightly of troll?

The Frankensteiner
Expert on Something

Postby The Frankensteiner » May 1st, 2006 5:32 pm

No, it's not just you.

I don't know what he's getting at in both his posts but they do seem derogatory.

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » May 1st, 2006 7:21 pm

Brugg wrote:Is it just me, or does this smell slightly of troll?

I believe "reek" is the word you're looking for.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Satsujin
Established Presence

Postby Satsujin » May 3rd, 2006 8:05 pm

The Frankensteiner wrote:I don't know if I can handle learning Kanji and Vocabulary at the same time. I'm sticking to the spoken language for now.

Ahhh, yes that is the feeling I had when I started also but the truth is that learning kanji helps greatly in learning vocabulary. Once you know some kanji, their meaning and readings, memorizing vocabulary with those kanji becomes a lot easier. In fact if you know kanji and their readings a lot of times you can even guess what the word for something in Japanese is.

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”