Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

PDF Worksheets to practice writing the alphabets?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

buck4155967
Been Around a Bit

PDF Worksheets to practice writing the alphabets?

Postby buck4155967 » August 20th, 2013 4:18 pm

Hi, I'm a new member just beginning to explore the site and utilize the resources.

I would like to find some PDF worksheets that I may print and practice writing the alphabets.

Does JapanesePod101.com have worksheets like that? If so, I'm having difficulty finding them -- where might they be?

Thanks,
Buck

mmmason8967
Expert on Something

Re: PDF Worksheets to practice writing the alphabets?

Postby mmmason8967 » August 20th, 2013 10:23 pm

I don't think Jpod101 has kana worksheets. However, they have something which I personally think is much, much better...

The Kantan Kana video course shows you how to write 5 kana in each lesson (I guess you'll already know why it's 5). The course covers hiragana first and then it covers katakana. Get a pen and a piece of paper and follow along with the lesson--don't just sit there watching it! At the end of each lesson, make sure you can write the kana you just learned plus all of the ones you learned in previous lessons. Once you finish the whole course, practice a couple of times every day to make sure you don't forget. You don't need to set aside much time--you can do it while you're stuck in a hold queue on the phone.

It took me one weekend to learn the kana. Hiragana on Saturday, Katakana on Sunday. Actually it was more like do a couple of lessons, walk the dog, do a couple of lessons, mow the grass, do a couple of lessons, go shopping ... etc, etc. Learning the kana is pretty dull work, to be honest, so you want to (a) only do it once and (b) get it over and done with as quickly as possible.

If you learn the correct way to write the kana, you'll find that all the ones that look the same start to look quite different, and you can read hiragana and katakana in all kinds of strange fonts because no matter how weird the font, they generally follow the rules for writing the characters. And if you decide to find some worksheets, make sure they're not the kind that have you trace over a standard printed font because the standard printed font is NOT how you write the characters!

Hope that helps.

マイケル

Get 40% OFF
buck4155967
Been Around a Bit

Postby buck4155967 » August 21st, 2013 3:59 am

mmmason8967 wrote:The Kantan Kana video course shows you how to write 5 kana in each lesson (I guess you'll already know why it's 5).

Okay. The video series is here:
http://www.japanesepod101.com/index.php?cat=47

Thank you very much!

team.relationships
Expert on Something

Postby team.relationships » August 22nd, 2013 7:35 am

Kon'nichiwa マイケル-san,

Thank you for helping Buck-san learning Kanas the right way!
And thank you for the compliment about our videos, we really appreciate it!

Both of you, thank you for being with us and please feel free to ask us anything!

Have a great day!
Mélanie
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “Technical Support”