a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Banner vs. battery

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

chris666
Been Around a Bit

Banner vs. battery

Postby chris666 » May 30th, 2013 3:22 pm

I'm using my MacBook for learning Japanese. Then browser is Chrome. I noticed that the battery lasted considerably less than usual. Activity Monitor told me that some processes took constantly about 10% of CPU time. I found out that those processe were PepperFlashPlayer. I had your current sales banner on 2 tabs. After removing the banner (inspect, delete node) the CPU went back to normal.

I think you should reconsider the way your banner is implemented. 10% CPU is not acceptable.

ericf
Expert on Something

Re: Banner vs. battery

Postby ericf » May 30th, 2013 6:28 pm

Personally, whether I'm using Chrome or Firefox, I use Click-to-flash to avoid both the battery life problem and for a little more defence against the number of Flash based viruses out there. For Chrome the setting is in settings -> advanced -> content settings -> Plugins -> Click to Play
Or for short just click (or copy/paste) this link:
[url]chrome://settings/content[/url]

And you can white-list specific websites like youtube if you wish.
エリック

Get 40% OFF
chris666
Been Around a Bit

Postby chris666 » May 30th, 2013 8:25 pm

Thank you for the tip.

I tried it, but the banner is still blinking, bouncing and eating CPU-time. I think I have to write a user script to remove the node automatically if I want to continue using JapanesePod101. I already had to put their mails on my spam-list since it is not possible to control the amount of mails.

It's a shame. The lessons are so good, the marketing is so annoying.

paloma_ill
Established Presence

Postby paloma_ill » June 3rd, 2013 7:21 am

Hello chris666 and ericf

Thank you so much for your comment and suggestion. We are always working on improving our materials and your opinion is highly valuable. I'll forward your message to our Content and Marketing team, so we can improve our products and materials.

If you have any questions, please let us know!
Paloma
JapanesePod101

Return to “Technical Support”