a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Japanese input on iPad iOS 6

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

paulwalth7002
Been Around a Bit

Japanese input on iPad iOS 6

Postby paulwalth7002 » October 6th, 2012 5:30 pm

It seems to be crashing my device a lot. I had to give up writing an email on my iPad and go type it on my PC. I'm wondering if anyone else is having issues. Stinks.

paulwalth7002
Been Around a Bit

Re: Japanese input on iPad iOS 6

Postby paulwalth7002 » October 27th, 2012 7:20 pm

:( no replies. I would so love to get this working again. I've searched google some and found a few other people complaining but I don't think many people have the problem. To be more specific on the crashing it's when I use the Japanese romaji keyboard input with my bluetooth keyboard.. and it seems to crash if I start typing a word and then hit the delete button to correct something before finalizing the word I'm typing. It almost always crashes. Frustrating to say the least. Workaround is to not use your bluetooth keyboard to type in Japanese on the iPad =(.

Get 40% OFF
natsukoy9313
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby natsukoy9313 » October 28th, 2012 1:47 am

paulwalth7002-san,
We're very sorry that no one has replied to you!! :(
Our technical team also looked into the issue, but it seems like recovering your iPad after doing factory setting would be also the fastest solution that we can think about it. Like wifi-issue and other followings, it seems like iOS6 is not sometimes working properly even someone installed it correctly. Since it's more about the issues directly related to Apple iOS, we're sorry that we cannot assist you right now. But we hope the Apple fixes the issue when they release new iOS soon in the near future.

Thank you,

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

paulwalth7002
Been Around a Bit

Postby paulwalth7002 » November 2nd, 2012 12:08 am

Seems they didn't fix it with iOS 6.0.1. I had hopes. I tried resetting my ipad to factory default but it doesn't help. Sent feedback to apple for them to ignore.

mrsspooky5154
Been Around a Bit

Postby mrsspooky5154 » December 3rd, 2012 11:41 pm

I found there is actually a BETTER place to mention to Apple that this problem exists:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

I was initially shown the iBooks feedback, but this should be good for iPad OS issues.

For other devices, select the appropriate device from http://www.apple.com/feedback.

Let's inundate them! :)

mrsspooky5154
Been Around a Bit

Postby mrsspooky5154 » January 28th, 2013 9:21 pm

Just installed iOS 6.1 that was just released today. Didn't fix it.

I sent another feedback to them at http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html .

That was the whole reason I got the iPad in the first place and they broke it.

I haven't checked yet, has japanesepod101.com added the ability to subscribe to the lite lesson notes as podcasts? I want to check one out on my iPad and if it works, and if I can subscribe as podcasts, I'll wipe everything and download those.

Jessi

Postby Jessi » February 5th, 2013 2:00 am

HI mrsspooky,
Can you clarify your last question? You are able to download the Lesson Note Lite PDFs through the feeds on iTunes, if that's what you mean :)
♪ JapanesePod101.com ♪ 好評配信中!
Leave us a message in the forum if you have any comments, questions, or feedback!

mrsspooky5154
Been Around a Bit

Postby mrsspooky5154 » February 5th, 2013 2:54 am

Can you clarify your last question? You are able to download the Lesson Note Lite PDFs through the feeds on iTunes, if that's what you mean

Hi Jessi,

Thanks for the response! I'm on http://www.japanesepod101.com/learningcenter/account/myfeed and I see where I can check "All PDF Material" and that seems to include the Lesson Notes and the Kanji Closeup pdfs (those are the options underneath All PDF). When I subscribed before, I selected Lesson Notes previously and I didn't get the Lite ones.

Does this mean if I check the "All PDF Materials" box I'll get the Lite notes too?

I wrote to the developers of another pdf management app asking if their app can display Asian fonts and they asked for a sample so I sent one of japanesepod101 lesson notes so they can test it (and maybe fix it so that it works). I hope they can do it, they're a lot cheaper than my now broken GoodReader :)

Please forgive me, I'm really not trying to be a pain.

Jessi

Postby Jessi » February 5th, 2013 3:53 am

Hi again mrsspooky,
Yes, if you click on All PDF Material, the Lesson Notes Lite PDF will also be included. If for some reason it isn't, please let me know what series you made the feed for. I hope this helps :)
♪ JapanesePod101.com ♪ 好評配信中!
Leave us a message in the forum if you have any comments, questions, or feedback!

paulwalth7002
Been Around a Bit

Postby paulwalth7002 » April 19th, 2013 3:35 pm

Well there's been updates to iOS and no fix in place for this bug. I love my iPad but I am thinking of trying an Android alternative to get better Japanese input support. Typing slowly seems to alleviate this some but not entirely and man am I annoyed when it crashes and I have to start over.

mrsspooky5154
Been Around a Bit

Postby mrsspooky5154 » April 19th, 2013 5:13 pm

Yeah.

A neighbor has an HP tablet - I'm inclined to want to send one of the lesson notes to him to see if he can see the text on his tablet. If he can, then I will probably have to get one of those.

The Lesson Note Lite files are quite a bit larger than the normal Lesson Notes, which means they're slower to open and take up more room - my iPad is already squeezed for space now.

I keep sending feedback to Apple's iPhone / iPad feedback link with os updates complaining that they still didn't fix this.

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » April 20th, 2013 8:49 am

paulwalth7002-san, mrsspooky5154-san,
kon'nichiwa.
We're very sorry to hear these technical issues.
I'll share your comments with our tech team and see if they can do something about it.
Thank you for your patience! :D

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

mrsspooky5154
Been Around a Bit

Postby mrsspooky5154 » April 20th, 2013 5:47 pm

Hi Natsuko-san,

Yesterday I started a chat session with Apple Support and explained the difficulties we are having since they removed those fonts from their operating system.

Some of the points I made:

The ONLY pdf reader that will display the fonts is Adobe Reader - and I don't like it, because it's missing functionality that I came to depend on using GoodReader. I've tried a number of pdf readers including iBooks and none of them will display the Japanese text. And it's not just Japanesepod101.com's pdfs that are having this problem. GoodReader has a notice on their web site's support page that Asian fonts will not display if they are not embedded into the file because of Apple removing the fonts (no plans on fixing it). The tech had me talk to a manager and he said it could be a licensing issue, plus not knowing how the pdfs were made, that is, what application was used (I think it shouldn't matter).

Being able to have the pdf lesson notes in extremely compact and portable format was the sole reason I bought the iPad in the first place, then Apple broke it. Their and third party apps don't work and there seem to be no plans on fixing it at the application level, which leaves it on the OS.

Having the fonts actually embedded in the file is inefficient and makes the files unacceptably large, especially since I only have a 16gb iPad. They also take longer to open and navigate through. Fonts in one place, available to be used by other files makes more sense in the long run. Heck, I'd even pay extra for the Asian language support if they wanted to offer it as an option or add on. I think I'll suggest that.

Anyway, he said he would write up a bug/complaint. I told him I had used the feedback pages as have people posting both here and on Apple's web site.

Please forgive me, I'm an American, so I'll be very direct - this is not acceptable and I think Apple has to fix it. Whatever they took out of iOS when version 6 came out, they can put it back in. They do need to hear it from a lot of people though - the more people that are affected by an issue the more likely they will act on it (and sooner).

mrsspooky5154
Been Around a Bit

Postby mrsspooky5154 » April 20th, 2013 6:05 pm

I reopened the ticket and asked if they could add the suggestion to have the Asian fonts available as an add on or separate download for those who want/need it. that way, those who aren't using Asian fonts in their pdfs don't have to have their storage space taken up by it (if that's why it was removed to begin with). We shall see....

Sorry, my family's from Ireland and we're a stubborn lot. I'm a dog with a bone on this (and it's not Japanesepod101.com's problem).

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » April 21st, 2013 6:02 am

mrsspooky5154-san,
thank you very much for detailed update!! And again, I'm very sorry to hear all the problems and
troubles you're experiencing... :(

No need to apologise for being direct; I think you need to and we all appreciate any direct feedbacks and
comments. It's very important for us to keep our lessons and site impoving.

Like you wrote, Apple MUST do something about it, and taking a system off because of upgrading/updating OS
is really not acceptable (especially when it's well-known application that many people might use).

As it's weekend, I can talk to our tech team only on Monday and it takes a bit more time; sorry.
Hope they can help you somehow.

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “Technical Support”