a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

The new font in PDFs

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Knocks
Been Around a Bit

The new font in PDFs

Postby Knocks » February 18th, 2010 9:10 pm

The new font in PDFs is awful. Not only is it not very pretty to look at, but the kanji also look different from the kana. Kana letters look bold, while kanji look thin. Change it back, please.

Jessi
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jessi » February 19th, 2010 12:54 am

Hi Knocks-san,
May I ask which PDF you are looking at where it looks like this? Do some look different from others? We have not changed the font recently so I'm wondering if there might have been a change in your settings somewhere.
♪ JapanesePod101.com ♪ 好評配信中!
Leave us a message in the forum if you have any comments, questions, or feedback!

Get 45% OFF
Knocks
Been Around a Bit

Postby Knocks » February 19th, 2010 1:45 am

I think the PDFs that have an index menu to the left are the ones with messed up fonts. Not sure when the change was implemented. The early ones (2008 and earlier) look great.

Jessi

Postby Jessi » February 23rd, 2010 12:44 am

The "kana letters look bold, while kanji look thin" issue sounds like how the PDFs show up on my computer at home (which is different from how they look on my computer at work), so it must be something that can be fixed by tweaking the settings (Sorry, I'm not a tech support person so I don't have an definite answer yet). What OS and PDF viewer are you using? Are you referring to the original Lesson Notes or Lesson Notes Lite version? (The Lite version, while more convenient for Mac users, does not look as good as the original, but doesn't have the problem you described above).
Leave us a message in the forum if you have any comments, questions, or feedback!

Knocks
Been Around a Bit

Postby Knocks » February 23rd, 2010 2:31 am

Jessi, I am referring to the regular, non-lite notes. I use a Windows 7 PC. You guys probably use Macs in the office? The issue is probably that the new PDFs were optimized specifically for Macs, while the old ones looked good on both.

Jessi

Postby Jessi » February 23rd, 2010 5:58 am

Hello Knocks,
I don't think the news ones were optimized for a Mac because we had quite a few Mac users saying they had issues with them when they first came out (which led to the creation of the Lesson Notes Lite, which were meant to fix the problems Mac users were facing).

I use a PC both at work and at home. I use Windows 7 as well (at home) and I believe the PDFs show up in the same way you describe - but we run XP here at the office and the PDFs look fine. I'll look into it a bit more!

warhol15
New in Town

Lesson Notes Lite

Postby warhol15 » February 26th, 2010 7:55 am

I'm glad I found this thread. On my Mac I must use Lesson Notes Lite in order to see the characters correctly displayed.

I wonder if this is common?

peachrules
Been Around a Bit

Re: Lesson Notes Lite

Postby peachrules » March 6th, 2010 2:08 am

warhol15 wrote:I'm glad I found this thread. On my Mac I must use Lesson Notes Lite in order to see the characters correctly displayed.

I wonder if this is common?

I'm on Windows Vista and I use the lite ones too. The regular looks way too bold for me.

Return to “Technical Support”