a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

I can't view the PDF files normally anymore, please help

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

watermen
Expert on Something

I can't view the PDF files normally anymore, please help

Postby watermen » December 14th, 2008 11:35 pm

I stopped listening to Jpod101 for a while due to busy schedule. Now I come back, seems to have many more lessons.

My problem now is I CANT" view the PDF normally anymore, all I see are squares on the PDF. I have no problem reading the old PDF, the old PDF appear normally. What have you all done to the new PDF? I can't read it now, please help.

I am a Mac user.

cwabbott
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby cwabbott » December 15th, 2008 1:09 am

Hello Watermen,

You can read a full thread on this issue here:

http://www.japanesepod101.com/forum/vie ... php?t=3602

But to summarize: the new PDF system uses Adobe's CID-0 non-embedded font structure. This allows us to produce the PDFs with improved usability and features, however, not all PDF readers properly support Adobe's standard 100%. If you are using Preview, then it will not show the Japanese characters correctly, as you have already discovered.

You can try a different PDF reader, such as Adobe Reader. Or, you may download the "Lesson Notes Lite" PDF from the site. The "Lesson Notes Lite" PDF is very similar to the older PDFs and will work in Preview.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and great to see you back on the site :D
Charles
JapanesePod101.com
Learn Japanese with FREE Daily Podcasts

http://www.japanesepod101.com
contactus@japanesepod101.com

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin, The Seekers

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
watermen
Expert on Something

Postby watermen » December 15th, 2008 2:27 am

I just left here for 2 months plus.

I have to say, I am extremely unhappy with the new PDF system!!!! The old PDF system was good, it works perfectly on my Mac and Safari.

Please, for God sake, if it works well for most people, than don't try to add something which is not necessary.

Using Adobe to read Jpod101 pdf on a Mac is a nightmare, I couldn't emphasize how ugly the font is!!!!! It is also slow and awkward.

Please return the old PDF style!!!!! The add legs on a snake!!!!!

cwabbott
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby cwabbott » December 15th, 2008 3:39 am

Hi Watermen,

Did you get a chance to review the lesson notes lite pdf? Does it open properly in your Preview?

Charles
JapanesePod101.com
Learn Japanese with FREE Daily Podcasts

http://www.japanesepod101.com
contactus@japanesepod101.com

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin, The Seekers

Return to “Technical Support”