a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

How to sort Podcasts by Lesson Level?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Snowfall
Been Around a Bit

How to sort Podcasts by Lesson Level?

Postby Snowfall » January 11th, 2008 3:24 pm

After some fits and starts, I've finally gotten JPod101 and ITunes to make peace on my computer. I'm a new Premium Member and decided to get all the lessons offered. Since I have virtually no experience with Japanese, I understand it's in my best interest to start with the Introduction classes, then move to Newbie and Survivor, then on to Beginner.

Unfortunately, in ITunes, I can only sort the lessons by Release Date. Because of the way JPod has evolved, Release Date is not helpful. I'd love to sort the the lessons in logical order or at least in alpha order (so all the newbie lessons would appear in a clump). Is there any way to do this?

In case you can't tell, JPod is my first exposure to podcasts.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Re: How to sort Podcasts by Lesson Level?

Postby untmdsprt » January 12th, 2008 4:07 pm

Snowfall wrote:After some fits and starts, I've finally gotten JPod101 and ITunes to make peace on my computer. I'm a new Premium Member and decided to get all the lessons offered. Since I have virtually no experience with Japanese, I understand it's in my best interest to start with the Introduction classes, then move to Newbie and Survivor, then on to Beginner.

Unfortunately, in ITunes, I can only sort the lessons by Release Date. Because of the way JPod has evolved, Release Date is not helpful. I'd love to sort the the lessons in logical order or at least in alpha order (so all the newbie lessons would appear in a clump). Is there any way to do this?

In case you can't tell, JPod is my first exposure to podcasts.

Yes, use the smart list feature. Note: iTunes for Mac and Windows are the same. These instructions are given using a Mac, but Windows users will have the same results.

Go to File, New Smart Playlist

Select the criteria you want for this smartlist. I usually do "Name contains ________", and "Kind does not contain PDF".

Make sure live updating is checked so it will automatically get the new podcasts.

Finally name the list to something appropriate. I usually name them JPod101 - Beginner, JPod101 - Newbie, and so on.

The best thing is, if you have an iPod that supports playlists, all these will be synced to the iPod. :D

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
ShiroiNeko
Established Presence

Sorting lessons

Postby ShiroiNeko » January 12th, 2008 10:28 pm

To help sort lessons I edit the title tag of each lesson using Windows MediaPlayer, and insert an 8 character prefix

Example B1-004-A

-- Beginner Series 1
-- Lesson 4
-- The next letter shows the type of lesson
A = Main lesson
R = Review
D = Dialog
B = Bonus
( and so on )

This means when I am listening in the car, or on my player I know exactly what I am listening to, and going back to my current lesson is easy.

Fierce white cat :kitty:

Snowfall
Been Around a Bit

Postby Snowfall » January 13th, 2008 4:37 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! I made a JPod playlist and edited some of the newbie names for consistency. That seems to work. I still have some more inventory management things to tend to but at least I've got a start.

Thanks.

Return to “Technical Support”