Or sign up using Facebook

Download Center

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Androth
New in Town

Download Center

Postby Androth » February 6th, 2007 5:41 pm

Hi everyone,
I download at a speed of 0Kb/s... why is that?
Thanks in advance

sarahg
Been Around a Bit

Postby sarahg » February 7th, 2007 10:35 am

I don't know why but I've been getting the same thing -- I was able to download lessons 21-40 just fine, and 101-120, but with a week of bittorrent running every day the rest just hasn't downloaded and I'm having to go to each lesson separately to download the mp3s. I'm a bit unhappy about this.
-- セイラ
Sarah

Join by May 6th
Androth
New in Town

Postby Androth » February 7th, 2007 6:29 pm

Yeah thats very sad that no one is seeding the torrents

Traveller
New in Town

Postby Traveller » February 20th, 2007 2:54 pm

You know what's really sad?

When a company provides something for free, all the archived old shows, and then starts charging for them. That is not ethical. I used to be able to get all the old shows from the download center. Now I have to sign up for a 7 day trail? I really should have grabbed them when I saw them. Now it seems like money is all they think about.

Are these guys paranoid or what?

sarahg
Been Around a Bit

Postby sarahg » February 20th, 2007 10:16 pm

Traveller wrote:You know what's really sad?

When a company provides something for free, all the archived old shows, and then starts charging for them. That is not ethical. I used to be able to get all the old shows from the download center. Now I have to sign up for a 7 day trail? I really should have grabbed them when I saw them. Now it seems like money is all they think about.

Actually, I consider it very reasonable. JapanesePod have staff and regular podcasts so they do need to be getting an income from the site. I like the model they've chosen, which lets people access their main content for free while still having something to offer the paying customers who make it possible to spend the time they do on the site. If a convenience feature starts out free and becomes a paid feature, well I'm sure it's missed by people but it's not a feature that stops you downloading the mp3's, it just makes it more convenient.

Speaking of which, I would really like this feature to work....
-- セイラ
Sarah

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » February 22nd, 2007 8:13 am

Traveller wrote:You know what's really sad?

Every single episode is available for FREE for download both on the website and through iTunes. Only access to the Download Center is no longer free. Also, I fail to see how charging for something that was once free is "unethical" or "paranoid." :? The salaries of the staff, bandwidth, and so on don't exactly grow on trees.

Unfortunately, bittorrent is a bit of a touchy technology and a lot of things can go wrong in a lot of different places. We're looking into more stable bittorrent software than what we're running now.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

sarahg
Been Around a Bit

Postby sarahg » February 22nd, 2007 9:45 am

Jason wrote:Unfortunately, bittorrent is a bit of a touchy technology and a lot of things can go wrong in a lot of different places. We're looking into more stable bittorrent software than what we're running now.

Woohoo! Glad to hear it's being worked on; I wasn't sure.

Thanks for a great site,
-- セイラ
Sarah

aleeo
New in Town

Postby aleeo » March 11th, 2007 10:25 pm

:( i was just about to ask about this guess we can c if it will be back up again in a few days.

thanks

seanolan
Expert on Something

Postby seanolan » March 12th, 2007 1:33 am

Jason wrote:Every single episode is available for FREE for download both on the website and through iTunes. Only access to the Download Center is no longer free. Also, I fail to see how charging for something that was once free is "unethical" or "paranoid." :? The salaries of the staff, bandwidth, and so on don't exactly grow on trees.

Unfortunately, bittorrent is a bit of a touchy technology and a lot of things can go wrong in a lot of different places. We're looking into more stable bittorrent software than what we're running now.

Jason, you expect a salary? And you expect us to pay for the bandwidth? Jeesh, I mean, one or two of us have already said thank you, what more do you want? Next I suppose you'll complain that the rent isn't free, and that the technology you have to use is costly. Oh, and you'll be complaining about the long time you have to spend developing the website and keeping it running. And those voice actors will be whining about hours spent in a hot studio.

You should all know better. The ethical thing to do is give us everything free and thank us for the opportunity to do so. Ungrateful wretches. You should all be slapped. You should be paying us to listen.

Sean
...ps: not sure which torrent software you are using, but I have heard almost nothing but good things, both from seeders and downloaders, about uTorrent (the "u" is actually a funky symbol I don't know the meaning of, but most people say "uTorrent".) All the good features of Azureus without the memory leaks Azureus is prone to.
...pps: thanks for all the hard work.

aleeo
New in Town

Postby aleeo » March 12th, 2007 1:46 am

...ps: not sure which torrent software you are using, but I have heard almost nothing but good things, both from seeders and downloaders, about uTorrent (the "u" is actually a funky symbol I don't know the meaning of, but most people say "uTorrent".) All the good features of Azureus without the memory leaks Azureus is prone to.
[/quote]

Micro :)

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » May 14th, 2007 2:31 am

Are the informal audio files in a torrent yet? If so, what is the link?

For Mac users: Azureus, Bits on Wheels, and Transmission are good.

If I had the time and/or the money then I would buy a subscription to the learning center. It seems like they are just as good if not better with their content. Besides, who else would give you the informal versions of everything? When was the last time you saw a book with anything but the ます form of words?

Jason

Postby Jason » May 15th, 2007 10:30 pm

There are torrents for some of the informal audio files, but they and the rest of the torrents are in the Download Center which, as mentioned earlier in this thread, because a premium feature a while ago.

They're also available from each lesson entry on the main site (if that lesson has an informal version). If you use Firefox, there's an extension called "DownThemAll" that can help automate downloading them a bit. DownThemAll lets you filter what you download. For example, if you want to download all the informal audio files on a page, you can open DTA and click on the + next to "Additional Filters" at the bottom. In that box, put in "*informal*.mp3" without the quotes, and DTA will automatically select all the informal audio files on the page for you.
Jason

ferrenraz
New in Town

Download Center

Postby ferrenraz » September 9th, 2007 8:42 pm

I've had simular problems as stated above with the download center, I was able to get beginner 20-40, but not any of the other beginners. I was able to get the informal, without problem. . etc.

Now, I am downloading them individually one at a time. Are the individual podcasts same file in the bulk package? They have same size and files, but I thought I would ask.

If they were the same, could I not just update my torrent and start seeding it out? or is the issue at the tracker or somewhere else?

Jason

Re: Download Center

Postby Jason » September 9th, 2007 10:11 pm

ferrenraz wrote:Now, I am downloading them individually one at a time. Are the individual podcasts same file in the bulk package? They have same size and files, but I thought I would ask.

Yes, they should be the same.

ferrenraz wrote:If they were the same, could I not just update my torrent and start seeding it out? or is the issue at the tracker or somewhere else?

You should be able to. Just download them to the correct torrent folder and overwrite the old files that were created when you started the torrent (stop the torrent first. In Azureus it's the red square button). Then remove the torrent in your client and readd it, and point it to the folder you were using before. It should recheck all the files and see the ones you downloaded individually as being complete.

Alternatively, instead of removing and readding the torrent, you can force the client to recheck the torrent. I'm not sure how to do it in utorrent, but here's how in Azureus. Stop the torrent (you should have already stopped it before downloading the individual files anyway), then right click (or ctrl-click for Mac) on the torrent and choose "Force re-check." After it finishes checking, it should then see those downloaded files as complete. When it finishes checking you have to manually start the torrent again (the green arrow button in Azureus).

Thank you for wanting to help seed. :)
Jason

ferrenraz
New in Town

seeding

Postby ferrenraz » September 10th, 2007 12:50 am

Now I'm curious. I had done what you said soon after I posted, because I wanted to see if it would work. The library was completed, and set up for seed, but no connections were ever made from it. Is it, perhaps, my settings? I have no trouble anywhere else.

Well, I will continue to Download them one at a time till bulk package issue is resolved.

I have to say, I've tried a variety of 'home' courses, and they all had the same failure, they required mass amounts of time in front of the PC, which I don't have. I like these because I can listen to them while I drive (in mono, so I not a menance to society). though, I miss days in college where I could sit on transit and make notes while I listened ;)

** I have since reseeded most of the pods up to beginner 60-80, and since demand for them appears somewhat low, I will keep them availiable as much as possible.

Return to “Technical Support”