Or sign up using Facebook

Akuma de

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Soraly
New in Town

Akuma de

Postby Soraly » May 27th, 2009 9:59 pm

Hello,

Has there been a lesson featuring the grammar point "akuma de"? If so I'd be grateful if someone could direct me there, but if not, I would really like to see one. No matter how much I study this term on my own it just won't stick.

zakojanai
Established Presence

Postby zakojanai » May 27th, 2009 11:46 pm

Think of it more like like "aku made" than "akuma de"(Which would mean something like "by the power of satan"(悪魔で?). It's an adverb meaning "to the bitter end" or "persistent" and is made up of two parts, "aku," meaning "to be satisfied" and "made," meaning "until." Take a look at some of the example sentences on Jim Breen's. And honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about this one. It doesn't seem to be all that common. And I don't think this has been covered before, but it might be worth mentioning in a future lesson.

Get 40% OFF
Soraly
New in Town

Postby Soraly » May 28th, 2009 12:10 am

Thanks. I definitely think the fact that I was breaking the word down incorrectly is part of my problem (I've only seen it written in kana). Hopefully thinking of it as "aku made" will make more sense in my brain and it will stick.

It's one of the JLPT Level 2 grammar points, so I want to make sure I fully understand it before I take the test in December.

Thanks again.

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » May 28th, 2009 12:36 am

zakojanai wrote:And honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about this one. It doesn't seem to be all that common. And I don't think this has been covered before, but it might be worth mentioning in a future lesson.

I don't know about 'あくまで', but the set expression 'あくまでも' (although my dictionary suggests they are interchangeable) seems to be commonly used in spoken language. I've heard Natsuko use it many times.

zakojanai
Established Presence

Postby zakojanai » May 28th, 2009 1:45 am

Really? I'll be on the lookout for it now. Also, where did you see that it was JLPT 2 grammar point? It's not in my Kanzen Master book or my Donna Toki, Dou Tsukau book. It is listed in my 1・2級語彙 Kanzen Book, though.

The meanings for akumade and akumademo are apparently the same. I really can't tell if there's any difference in usage and if so, what that difference is.

Soraly
New in Town

Postby Soraly » May 28th, 2009 3:31 am

Hmm...I was just about to write that it was in my level 2 grammar study book from Unicom Inc., but opening it up I actually see that it is NOT... So I'm not sure WHERE I got the term from... and I guess it's not one of the test points after all... Whoops >_<;

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » May 28th, 2009 10:29 am

zakojanai wrote:Really? I'll be on the lookout for it now. Also, where did you see that it was JLPT 2 grammar point? It's not in my Kanzen Master book or my Donna Toki, Dou Tsukau book. It is listed in my 1・2級語彙 Kanzen Book, though.

The meanings for akumade and akumademo are apparently the same. I really can't tell if there's any difference in usage and if so, what that difference is.

It seems that it's often used used to mean something like "after all, at most, just".

あくまで私の個人的な意見です。
It's just my personal opinion.
あくまでも趣味なんで会社に経費を出してもらおうとは思っていない。
It's just a hobby after all, so I don't expect the company to cover it on expenses.

Return to “Japanese Lesson Suggestions”