Or sign up using Facebook

A music lesson?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

gogoraj
New in Town

A music lesson?

Postby gogoraj » February 1st, 2008 7:54 pm

Hello everyone, please welcome me with open arms! :P

I was thinking maybe it's a possibilty for the guys and girls at japanesepod101 to take a song and translate it for us in a 'music' lesson. For example, take Utada Hikaru's 'Beautiful World' (man I love that song!), and tell us what the song is about, perhaps explaining any cultural references or idioms if they are within the lyrics. Im sure it would make a very fun and entertaining lesson, even moreso than the already fantastic lessons!

I wonder if copyright would be an issue?...

Anyway, thanks for reading!

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » February 1st, 2008 11:23 pm

Hi there!

This is more the type of thing that you should post in the Japanese practice forum and have the members take a stab at. As you say, because of copyright issues I don't think you'll be seeing a lesson about a song like this anytime soon, though hope springs eternal!

I did take a look at the lyrics for this song, and while there are a few areas I'd label "not for beginners," I didn't see any particular cultural overtones or (save for maybe shou ga nai) idioms. If you've got any questions about it, you're merely a post away from answers.

Consider yourself welcomed with open arms. :D Have fun on the forums!
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

Get 40% OFF
Liz21
Expert on Something

Postby Liz21 » February 22nd, 2008 2:39 am

I totally love the idea of using music for some lessons! As far as copyright goes, it would have to be an older song in the public domain, etc. or a folk song. It still could be an awful lot of fun. Please, JPOD, let's do this!

watermen
Expert on Something

Postby watermen » February 22nd, 2008 3:45 am

I second the idea of teaching us folk song that every Japanese kids will know. I know Doraemon opening theme is one of them...but I guess that one has copyright...

Ok, I started a thread of learning Japanese from Pokemon....let's come and join me.

Return to “Japanese Lesson Suggestions”