a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

News Report Style Lesson

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Javizy
Expert on Something

News Report Style Lesson

Postby Javizy » January 7th, 2008 2:19 pm

I think it'd be cool if you made a lesson or even a series to help people understand the news. There seem to be certain phrases and structures that are continually used, for example, I often hear 明らかになりました, which I assume means 'it became clear that...', and hear the masu- stem being used instead of the te-form for connecting sentences.

I'm sure there are lots of other examples that I can't pick up on, so maybe a lesson examining the type of language and structures used would be helpful in the impossible task of trying to understand the daily News.

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » January 7th, 2008 9:08 pm

容疑者, 事件、逮捕されました, 関係者によると、and となりました are some others you'll run into quite a bit. At any rate, I totally second the idea. The news is tough-- fast, furious, complicated. The moment you get lost it seems impossible to get back on track, so a J-pod series that "breaks it down" would be really, really useful for higher-level students.

Get 40% OFF
watermen
Expert on Something

Postby watermen » January 7th, 2008 9:58 pm

Agree, I would love to hear this series.

maxiewawa
Expert on Something

Postby maxiewawa » January 8th, 2008 5:49 am

Hear, hear. I've been listening to CSLPod, a podcast that includes news reports with transcripts spoken slowly, and it's helped a lot. Deutsche Welle also has a podcast of news read slowly which I think is a great idea for learners of German.

I had a look at NHK but couldn't find any news podcasts. Sometimes news read at full speed is helpful for learning if it is accompanied with a transcript. Maybe there are podcasts, but I just can't find them...

I've made great progress with other languages listening to news readers, and it's something that is hard to find in Japanese.

おねがい!

Shaydwyrm
Expert on Something

Postby Shaydwyrm » January 8th, 2008 11:53 am

Yomiuri has a podcast, though it's not spoken particularly slowly: http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/podcast/

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » January 8th, 2008 12:12 pm

Max, if you do a search in iTunes with language set to Japanese and category set to News and Politics, there's even a high-quality video podcast that lasts about eight minutes. It's helpful because statistics, lists and other things are displayed during the report, which give your struggling ears some much-needed backup. I don't know some of the kanji in the name, but this is the website iTunes sends you to - http://www.nikkei.co.jp/bb/index.html I don't know how to find the podcast on that site, but maybe it will be helpful if you can't find it through iTunes, plus it has a streaming video.

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » January 8th, 2008 10:05 pm

The closest match I found on iTunes to your description was 日経朝刊解説 "にっけい ちょうかん かいせつ". I was also able to find an online directory of Nikkei podcasts here:

http://www.nikkei.co.jp/podcast/

Can't vouch for the contents because I haven't listened yet. I will later when I have time!

maxiewawa
Expert on Something

Postby maxiewawa » January 9th, 2008 4:07 am

Ooohhh thanks! I never thought to look through iTunes!
That's exactly what I was looking for, ta everyone!

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » January 9th, 2008 10:13 am

There are a few on there that I listen to. シネマー People is quite a lengthy, semiformal one that's slightly easier to understand than the news. If you want to learn some "raunchier" aspects of Japanese, then there's Marimo's English; again quite lengthy, but extremely informal, natural conversational style, which is pretty hard to come by.

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » January 10th, 2008 1:49 am

For the benefit of those searching, it is シネマPeople without the dash. Thanks to motivation of this thread, I've signed up for a number of Japanese podcasts, and in spite of the majority of them being well above my listening level, I still endeavor to listen to a little bit every day, taking notes and picking out new words as I am able.

I advise everyone who has reached intermediate level here on Jpod do the same thing. Exposure to listening works-- a shame I haven't done it sufficiently for the amount I've studied.

Return to “Japanese Lesson Suggestions”