Or sign up using Facebook

How to order pizza and similar

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

quique
New in Town

How to order pizza and similar

Postby quique » August 12th, 2007 5:10 pm

Hi!

I've ordered pizza a few times and it never goes as smooth as it should be :? , there's always something different depending on where you call and who answers the call so I think you can make a real call to Pizza-La, Pizza-Hut,Domino and any other one , *record* it and podcast it with a nice translation. Someone always orders pizza at JapanesePod101 right? :) so, no additional costs involved. Try weird things like asking a pizza from the Pizza-Hut menu when you call Pizza-La or ask half-and-half and then mention three different pizzas or two that can not be combined :P.

I went recently to McDonalds (drive-in) , I asked for a Happy-set and the guy replied something I didn't understand, asked again and thought that there were no happy-set available so I asked for a sandwich ... at home, opened the bag and found a sandwich and the happy-set contents *but* not the colorful happy-set box ... that was what the guy was trying to say.

My japanese is somehow between 4kyu and 3kyu , that is I'm not anywhere near fluent so I always try to *predict* what is any conversation going to be about. If I go to McDonalds I know what to *expect* , cola? ice-tea? milk or lemon? fries? size (S-M-L)? "please advance and pay" etc ... Not having "the box for a happy-set" was totally unexpected.

That's why I think examples from real life with unexpected situations will help a lot.

I saw thig guy at one Hokka-Hokka store going straight to the cash register and said "kore" while pointing to the picture of some bentou in the menu and then holding up the same finger saying "just one" and then moving his head up and down when asked if that was all. ... It's great when everything goes as expected doesn't it?

Regards
Quique

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » August 22nd, 2007 6:45 am

actually, we did a 2 part episode on how to order a pizza (because i was complaining about the same thing - lol).

domino's and pizza hut both follow nearly identical routines as featured in our lesson (our script writer did research for accuracy before writing, because this is kind of survival stuff).

i'd like to add, if you order from www.dominos.jp instead of the phone, you don't have to speak to anyone AND you get a 5% discount! :D

anyways, here's the link to the lesson:
http://www.japanesepod101.com/index.php ... &order=des

hope this helps!
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…
Get 40% OFF

Return to “Japanese Lesson Suggestions”