Or sign up using Facebook

Stereotypes

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Mikki
New in Town

Stereotypes

Postby Mikki » May 7th, 2007 11:46 am

Hi,
Ithink it would be interesting to do a blog series that looks at stereotypes of Japan and are they real or myths. For example, life-time employment, all Japanese women marry, all Japanese kids are studious etc.

padrik
Established Presence

Postby padrik » May 7th, 2007 9:52 pm

Good idea, and also how Japanese tend to stereotype foreigners(westerners, etc...) until they actually meet one, or make friends with one...

Many people I met who had no western friends, believed me to be just like what they saw or heard about on TV hehe, was funny. Tokyo tends to be different of course...

**A big thing that happened several times to me and other students, was walking into a store with a problem, say with my cell phone. Explaining to the clerk the issue in Japanese, and her replying with "no english". Then another employee comes over, understands everyting you said and helps you. Like there is some mental block when you see a westerner, thinking they only speak english. Of course this happens in america also to foreigners coming here. Kind of frustrating. Oops I rambled on hehe, ごめんね。。
カール

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » May 8th, 2007 4:16 am

padrik wrote:Good idea, and also how Japanese tend to stereotype foreigners(westerners, etc...) until they actually meet one, or make friends with one...

Many people I met who had no western friends, believed me to be just like what they saw or heard about on TV hehe, was funny. Tokyo tends to be different of course...

**A big thing that happened several times to me and other students, was walking into a store with a problem, say with my cell phone. Explaining to the clerk the issue in Japanese, and her replying with "no english". Then another employee comes over, understands everyting you said and helps you. Like there is some mental block when you see a westerner, thinking they only speak english. Of course this happens in america also to foreigners coming here. Kind of frustrating. Oops I rambled on hehe, ごめんね。。
カール

Yes, I agree with you! :wink: They should make a Stereotype lesson so we say how we Stereotype Japanese and how Japanese Stereotype Westerns. 8) :D

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » May 22nd, 2007 11:31 pm

Well the stereotype of all Japanese men are short is a myth. I have two friends, one is 5'10", the other is 6'2"

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » May 25th, 2007 11:04 pm

untmdsprt wrote:Well the stereotype of all Japanese men are short is a myth. I have two friends, one is 5'10", the other is 6'2"

Thank you for that myth, I didn't knew this one because Japanese guys are tall! 8) :wink:

Return to “Japanese Lesson Suggestions”