a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Dialects?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Outkast
Expert on Something

Dialects?

Postby Outkast » February 3rd, 2007 5:50 pm

Seeing how this podcast is based out of Tokyo, this might be a bit difficult, but...

What could be really awesome would be shows giving introductions into the different dialects (maybe modeled as a survival phrases or advanced episode, perhaps.) These could let the listener hear what phrases or vocabulary variations they might run into in different parts of Japan. (Because the truth is, most of the people who come to Japan and not just to Tokyo, will run into a different dialect at some point. And some of these sound almost nothing like standard Japanese, at least to the unaccustomed ear.)

It's a thought, if nothing else...

Outkast
Expert on Something

Postby Outkast » February 6th, 2007 2:23 am

Sounds like this one is going to be done! ありがとうね!!!

Get 40% OFF
markystar
Site Admin

dialects

Postby markystar » August 21st, 2007 9:49 am

i'm fascinated with dialects!

i did 5 episodes about 津軽弁 (Tsugaru-ben), one of the dialects of Aomori.
http://www.japanesepod101.com/index.php ... &order=des

i've mulled over the idea of covering one of the dialects of Niigata because Yuki who works with us is from there. so this one is looking likely.

many people have asked for 大阪弁, and i'd really like to dig deep into this one since it's a really important dialect. the only problem up to this point has been finding 大阪弁 speaking people who can speak some english too and have the time to meet with me a few times to hammer out a few conversations and go over the grammar, etc...

if you have any friends who meet are up for this, by all means, send them my way!
this goes for any dialect in japan. the more the better, right?

marky
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Re: dialects

Postby Ulver_684 » November 7th, 2007 2:09 am

markystar wrote:i'm fascinated with dialects!

i did 5 episodes about 津軽弁 (Tsugaru-ben), one of the dialects of Aomori.
http://www.japanesepod101.com/index.php ... &order=des

i've mulled over the idea of covering one of the dialects of Niigata because Yuki who works with us is from there. so this one is looking likely.

many people have asked for 大阪弁, and i'd really like to dig deep into this one since it's a really important dialect. the only problem up to this point has been finding 大阪弁 speaking people who can speak some english too and have the time to meet with me a few times to hammer out a few conversations and go over the grammar, etc...

if you have any friends who meet are up for this, by all means, send them my way!
this goes for any dialect in japan. the more the better, right?

marky

Marky-san! :wink:

When is Nozomi-san going to comeback to make more dialect lesson :?
I really miss both of you and those pleasant lessons! :kokoro: :cool:

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » November 7th, 2007 11:21 am

thanks!! i'll tell her that.

well, nozomi only knows her hometown dialect. so she doesn't know any others, plus she hates speaking english. :lol:

but have no fear!
in february and march the lovely リエさん will be coming all the way niigata to talk about her hometown dialect with yuki and i! i'm really looking forward to it!
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » December 2nd, 2007 4:54 am

markystar wrote:thanks!! i'll tell her that.

well, nozomi only knows her hometown dialect. so she doesn't know any others, plus she hates speaking english. :lol:

but have no fear!
in february and march the lovely リエさん will be coming all the way niigata to talk about her hometown dialect with yuki and i! i'm really looking forward to it!

Nozomi-san hates to speak English?

Which one the British or the American one :? :lol:

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » December 2nd, 2007 9:37 am

Which one the British or the American one

both, i guess. :lol:

she's actually very good at speaking english, but like all japanese people, she has to study at least 6 years of english. so i think when she finishes university she wants to say "enough is enough."

actually, she studied korean for 3 years and speaks it pretty well (she says better than english). but then again, japanese and korean have very similar grammar.
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » December 19th, 2007 11:07 pm

markystar wrote:
Which one the British or the American one

both, i guess. :lol:

she's actually very good at speaking english, but like all japanese people, she has to study at least 6 years of english. so i think when she finishes university she wants to say "enough is enough."

actually, she studied korean for 3 years and speaks it pretty well (she says better than english). but then again, japanese and korean have very similar grammar.

ohhh Miki-san didn't tell me that, I'm going to learn Japanese and Korean too just like Nozomi-san. 8)

Please say hi to Nozomi-san! :wink:

josiah
Expert on Something

Postby josiah » December 26th, 2007 1:22 am

I have some good friends in Kobe and Osaka who might be up for this.
They speak English fairly well, probably like most if the Japanese guys who have appeared on japanesepod101.
My girlfriend said she would love to do something like that too (She's from Osaka) but she's in Australia now... :cry:
Buuuuut I reckon Osaka-ben is great and would be fun for you guys to cover more!! :D

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » December 26th, 2007 2:21 am

if your friends have some time and are interested you could always have them contact me. osaka-ben is a high priority for me.

also, coming very soon is a 3 part niigata-ben series!! woo-hoo!
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

josiah
Expert on Something

Re: Dialects?

Postby josiah » December 26th, 2007 5:25 am

Outkast wrote:Seeing how this podcast is based out of Tokyo, this might be a bit difficult...

Markyさん、
if someone from Kansai was interested, would they have to be in Tokyo?
Probably everyone I know from Kansai doesn't live or want to go to Tokyo... :?

arrowisland
Been Around a Bit

Postby arrowisland » March 14th, 2008 6:52 am

I'd like to dig this topic up again. I live in Shimane-ken, where Izumo-ben is used fairly prominently. I think it's a really fascinating dialect, and this area is so full of Japanese history that I think it might be of interest to others as well. I have no idea how the whole system works though, to put lessons together for a particular dialect (including getting the people), but it's something to think about, I guess.

trvladct
New in Town

Tosa-ben

Postby trvladct » April 12th, 2008 12:55 am

I lived in Kochi, so I would be really psyched to see some Tosa-ben in the Culture classes!!! :D

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » April 12th, 2008 6:27 pm

i love sakamoto ryoma, so i'd love to cover tosa-ben also!

a quick update, i have a confirmation to make. there will be 3 lessons on a kansai dialect. it's not osaka or kyoto. but, as you all know, there is actually no such thing as kansai-ben... i mean, it's actually a family of dialects. i'm not gonna spill the beans fully now, but omg, it's gonna be sooooo good!

宜しくお願いします!
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

Return to “Japanese Lesson Suggestions”