a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Vocab words in kanji flash cards?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

mrsspooky5154
Been Around a Bit

Vocab words in kanji flash cards?

Postby mrsspooky5154 » July 6th, 2012 2:12 pm

I'm currently using the first grade kanji flash cards and they're very good (some of the on readings aren't displaying properly on the iPad though) but so many of them have multiple readings that I'm having trouble remembering them all, particularly when there are some that aren't variations of each other.

I think it would be helpful to have some vocabulary examples to illustrate the readings, especially when they are very different. Even better would be some dialogs or short stories using the kanji by grade level so we can really see them in action. It's very difficult if not impossible to find for example first grade Japanese reading material outside of Japan. I think I need this and maybe others as well.

Do you already have this here and I just missed it? If not, it would be great to have and VERY helpFul.

Thanks much!

natsukoy9313
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby natsukoy9313 » July 7th, 2012 7:04 am

mrsspooky5154-san,
I understand what you mean... I'll talk to my team about your request. Thank you very much for precious opinion!! :D
By the way, have you tried Kanji Close-up sheet too? At least there are examples of usage.
Except for Absolute beginner, you can find those sheet to study. Please let me know if we can help you more. :wink:

Natsuko/JapanesePod101.com

Get 40% OFF
mrsspooky5154
Been Around a Bit

Postby mrsspooky5154 » July 7th, 2012 11:56 am

Hi natsukoy9313-san,

I have seen the Kanji Close-up sheets but it's been a while. I think I need to revisit those, thanks much for the reminder.

I've been trying to learn the kanji for the vocabulary words for each of the lessons - even if I don't know what the kanji MEANS when I see two of them together I can at least recognize words. I'll go through the lesson notes and try to read the dialogs, then study the vocabulary then try to read the dialog again. Sometimes that helps, but remembering everything is a challenge and I think I'm trying to go too fast because I'm not taking enough time to review. Shame on me. :)

My problem is I want to know it NOW. I love learning but I'm afraid I have little patience for the process. I have to just keep working on it.

Thanks much for the reply.

Spook

natsukoy9313
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby natsukoy9313 » July 8th, 2012 6:52 am

Spook-san,
Glad I could help!! :wink:
I know what you mean by "I want to know it NOW" :D
I myself study other languages and I wish I could learn (at least some basic stuff) in one day!! :lol:
Well, let's try our best...!

Natsuko/JapanesePod101.com

samsound5497
New in Town

Re: Vocab words in kanji flash cards?

Postby samsound5497 » March 26th, 2013 12:08 am

Hello, I think that there should be more descriptions about the image of the kanji..there are a few on the 'learn kanji' page, but they stop after about 6 or so. Its really handy to have ways of remembering Kanji, not just stroke order and meaning. Like Hirigana and Katakana were so much easier to lean with mnemonics.

Thanks

Sam

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Re: Vocab words in kanji flash cards?

Postby community.japanese » March 26th, 2013 10:41 am

Sam-san,
thank you very much for the feedback and suggestion!
You're right; it's always better to learn kanji associating them to words or pictures, not only strokes orders.
I'll share your post with my team to discuss about it and for improvement on our site.
Thank you very much! :D

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “Feature Requests”