Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Can Peter-san start speaking Japanese again?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Brody
Expert on Something

Can Peter-san start speaking Japanese again?

Postby Brody » August 11th, 2006 5:28 pm

I'd personally love to hear Peter-san start speaking Japanese more again on the podcasts.
I am currently struggling with my speaking ability (it's coming along great but I have such a ways to go); it's really encouraging to hear a fellow Japanese learner (allbeit a much smarter one) be able to have converstations and smoothly create long, complex sentences.
It reminds me that it's possible to nail Japanese. It keeps me going.

Thanks!
AKA パンク野郎

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » August 12th, 2006 5:35 pm

I agree. I think it's good to hear "foreigner Japanese" as well as from native speakers. I think it helps the learners see that you don't have to sound just like a native speaker in order to hold a good conversation and be understandable. It's good encouragement for them.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Get 40% OFF
Brody
Expert on Something

Postby Brody » August 14th, 2006 4:58 am

It's good encouragement for them.

I could really use some of that right now. Plus, Peter's really good. I think it's kind of rude that it has been suggested that it would mess up learners if they heard Japanese being spoken "incorrectly." Peter's obviously worked very hard to get where he is and I think he should be able to be proud of it!
AKA パンク野郎

Liz21
Expert on Something

Postby Liz21 » September 4th, 2006 11:40 am

I know what you mean about Peter making it safe for us to speak Japanese, but I really, really appreciate hearing the native Japanese speakers. In fact, I think that's one thing (among many) that sets this podcast apart from others that I have heard. It's difficult for me to learn good pronunciation from a non-native speaker, generally speaking, even it it's someone I postively adore (Peter!). So, if they do have him speak a little more, keep it down. :D

kurt
New in Town

Hey, I like that Long Island, NY sound!

Postby kurt » September 14th, 2006 7:23 pm

If Peter spoke all Japanese I would miss his Long Island/ NY accent!

Kurt Vander Bogart
Bernalillo (burn a leo), New Mexico, USA

cornycort
New in Town

Re: Hey, I like that Long Island, NY sound!

Postby cornycort » June 12th, 2007 12:51 pm

kurt wrote:If Peter spoke all Japanese I would miss his Long Island/ NY accent!

Kurt Vander Bogart

ME TOO! I'm from Long Island and living in Tokyo, too!

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Re: Hey, I like that Long Island, NY sound!

Postby Ulver_684 » June 13th, 2007 11:30 pm

kurt wrote:If Peter spoke all Japanese I would miss his Long Island/ NY accent!

Kurt Vander Bogart

Kurt-san! :wink:

I definitive agree, I'm NOT from Long Island BUT I'm also from NYC! 8) :wink:

MexicanHat
New in Town

Postby MexicanHat » July 5th, 2007 10:37 am

I agree with everyone here. Peters Japanese is good 8) so I have no problems with that.

padrik
Established Presence

Postby padrik » July 5th, 2007 4:21 pm

日本語のほうがいい。。。

Elfunko
Expert on Something

Postby Elfunko » August 31st, 2007 11:39 am

The thing about foreigners speaking Japanese well is they have taken great amounts of time to become understandable, have studied IMPORTANT words and grammar, and UTILIZE this within conversation. Rather than hear him speak English, which we all know and don't need help with, I'd like to hear him speak Japanese. You can learn what has taken him years to learn within the length of a podcast. Call it a stepping stone. Learn from someone better than you, get to their level, then learn from someone better. Foreigner Japanese is good because it cuts right to the core to have communication, no BS. And then at the same time the native Japanese speaker is there to show the other, more nuanced side of the language, a great contrast.

Anyway, this is about the news feeds right? They speak 99% english anyway so I don't really listen, but if they started speaking Japanese I definitely would. :)

Fedgrub
Expert on Something

Postby Fedgrub » September 18th, 2007 12:14 pm

Peter is really great, I can understand why he doesn't want to speak too much Japanese on the podcasts though. If JPOD has spent money on getting Japanese speakers in, they would be shortchanging themselves because who can speak it better than the natives?

But thats not to say Peter isn't great. He definately is.

Return to “Feature Requests”