a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Furigana vs. Hiragana in pdfs

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

tuuli
New in Town

Furigana vs. Hiragana in pdfs

Postby tuuli » July 22nd, 2008 2:50 am

In the transcripts, I wonder if it would it be possible to put kanji with furigana in the second transcript column (currently all hiragana) so that it would be easier to jump over and check the reading of kanji compounds?
I love using the pdfs to study along with the lessons, but in the intermediate lessons at least, it's frustrating to be reading along in the dialog, hit kanji you don't know, and then have to scan over the entire second column to find the word (the lines often off by more then a few lines, even onto the next page...) in the next column.
If the second column was kanji with furigana instead, all the lines would match up and it would be great! :D Of course, it's still good having the first column with no furigana to practice reading the vocab in context...
Do other people feel this way?

nelsonman90
New in Town

Postby nelsonman90 » July 23rd, 2008 2:54 am

i agree, it get's really annoying.
僕は日本語の滑稽ですよ! =D

Get 32% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS
bloritsch
Been Around a Bit

Postby bloritsch » July 23rd, 2008 12:35 pm

While I'm learning to read, it helps to have just the hiragana available. I can always cover it up when I'm looking at the version with kanji. The fact that the words are not in the same place in each column kind of forces me to read the hiragana, and I can figure out pretty easily where I am in the conversation.

As for the kanji, the approach I'm taking for now is to recognize the compounds as words--maybe not the best approach over all, but there is one pronunciation for the word as opposed to trying to keep straight all the readings for the individual kanji.

Tinkerbell
New in Town

Postby Tinkerbell » August 3rd, 2008 5:17 pm

What I notice is when I have furigana I end up not reading the kanji at all, just the furigana, which makes having kanji kind of pointless, but maybe if the had kanji with furigana in addtion to the ones they already have so that people could choose for themselves. Maybe instead of the romanji in the more advanced lessons?
At least I would have no use for furigana, it would only make me learn kanji slower, but I can very well see that many may have a use for it. That's my thoughts on the matter anyway...

Double0
New in Town

Postby Double0 » September 1st, 2008 11:52 pm

I agree that the hiragana only reading should be written in furigana. This gives us the best of both worlds. The advanced readers still have the kanji only reading, and the rest of us have furigana which gives us the hiragana and an introduction to the kanji. Great idea.

scnnrc
New in Town

Postby scnnrc » September 21st, 2008 10:24 pm

I agree that the hiragana part should have furigana. I also think that it would be faster for the JPOD101 crew to produce PDF

Return to “Feature Requests”