a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Spaced Repetition

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

floatingweed
New in Town

Spaced Repetition

Postby floatingweed » February 19th, 2008 1:54 pm

I signed up at New Year and am really enjoying working through the Podcasts. They are a fantastic resource, but I think that the learning centre would really benefit from being focused around a spaced repetition flashcard system, perhaps like the one over a "reviewingthekanji".

I'm sure that you are all aware of the popularity of SRS programs such as Anki, iFlash and Mnemosyne just now for learning japanese (perhaps in part stemming from the great advice over at alljapaneseallthetime.com). They are excellent language learning aids.

One of the problems of using these programs though, is the constant sourcing and inputting of sentences for review. JapanesePod101 has a fantastic collection of material - really, some of the best available - and it would be really great if, after finishing a lesson, I could select which sentences or vocab I were important to me and have them copied over to my SRS deck in the learning centre for review. Currently I have to cut, paste, format, check, and sometimes retype your content when transferring to my external SRS (It's a pain)- and I'm sure that there are many others who do the same.

This would have a great benefit to me, really streamlining my study sessions and would surely encourage people to spend more time and interact on the site, since an SRS system requires constant daily review. Again, look at "reviewingthekanji" for an example of the popularity of the system and the community it has spawned.

At the moment (and this is just my personal opinion) the learning centre is a bit disjointed. There are a few fun distractions, but nothing that encourages rigourous daily visits. And there is nothing that gives the sense of growing achievement that focusing the learning centre around a good and prominant SRS system could bring.

Sorry if the above sounds negative. It's not meant to be - I just feel that there is a great opportunity here to "take things to the next level" or "bring it all together" (to quote a couple of Peterisms).

mrarlen
New in Town

Thanks for the ideas

Postby mrarlen » February 20th, 2008 7:36 am

I'll look at those other sites too.

:D

Just checked it out...
Anki looks great and it's free. So I'm going to try it out.

I've been listening to the survival phrases, and I already know some Japanese, although it's very rusty, so there are just a few words or phrases each lesson that I want to remember.

Maybe Anki will help me.

Thanks for the awesome tip!!!
-------------------------
:)
God bless you!
Get 32% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS

Return to “Feature Requests”