a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

kanji text recognition

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

metablue
Expert on Something

kanji text recognition

Postby metablue » October 21st, 2007 1:07 am

When I come across a new kanji in a paper or book, I have a really hard time finding it in a dictionary. The fastest way (at work) is to open a drawing program, copy it the best I can, then send the picture to a Japanese-speaking friend. But sometimes he's busy or on vacation.

It'd be great if there was an online tool that took the place of my friend. I'd copy the kanji into a box with my mouse and the tool would try to tell me which it is.

Harv
Established Presence

Postby Harv » October 21st, 2007 10:51 am

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi- ... dic.cgi?1R

Just select the radicals that make up the kanji and you should find the kanji you're looking for.

Get 32% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS
Shaydwyrm
Expert on Something

Postby Shaydwyrm » October 21st, 2007 12:38 pm

The Microsoft Japanese IME also has a handwriting recognition module. If you have Japanese Input on a Windows PC you can probably set it up.

I actually prefer the WWWJDIC Multiradical input that Harv mentioned, but that's just because I don't like drawing with a mouse ><

jemstone
Expert on Something

Postby jemstone » October 21st, 2007 1:55 pm

Harv wrote:http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1R

Just select the radicals that make up the kanji and you should find the kanji you're looking for.

that's really useful! but some of the definitions are rather simple... lacks details for the definitions.

metablue
Expert on Something

Postby metablue » October 23rd, 2007 2:50 pm

Thank you! That's really helpful.

After posting, I also remembered that I have a book called "Kanji Fast Finder". The kanji are categorized visually depending on shape. I think I got frustrated with it before because it only has the jouyou kanji, but for those it's quite useful.

Return to “Feature Requests”