Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

hisham
New in Town

organizing podcast

Postby hisham » August 3rd, 2007 3:49 pm

dear japanesepod 101 managers

i do have a suggestion about organizing the pod casting

what i mean is when i update my ipod all lessons became under one big title

so if i need to reach an intermediate lesson or a survival phrases i have to scroll around all the lessons and as the lessons are accumulating in a fast way it realy becoming harder to find your target

so i suggest to organize files in as follow
if using windows platform uder properties

gener is japanese language

artist is japanepod101

album is according to the level (beginner intermediate survival ... etc )

i wish i was not rude asking such request

many regards to all preciuos japanesepod101 staff

TheNationalPool
Been Around a Bit

Postby TheNationalPool » August 4th, 2007 5:40 pm

I've just made playlists on the iPod according to each type of lesson. It's also helpful because the lessons play one after another without having to change anything thing.

You can seperate them easily by going into iTunes and typing "Beginner Lesson" under the podcast section. Then click "Date Created" or something along those lines to get them in the proper order.

Hope that helps.

Mata ne,

Brad
www.thenationalpool.com

www.ModernMusicBusiness.com
"A podcast for the new era of the Music Business"

Get 32% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS
hisham
New in Town

Postby hisham » August 5th, 2007 10:10 am

thanks for the suggestion that was helpfully

but it still can't arrange the files in the ipod

it only helps when using i tune

:)

justdave
New in Town

Postby justdave » September 2nd, 2007 5:20 am

What you need to do is to create a new "Smart Playlist" and set it to match the podcast name and the lesson type in the title. This should create a playlist that contains only those lessons. Then drag the entire playlist onto your iPod. The iPod should keep it as a Smart Playlist and automatically categorize your lessons into it as the main podcast feed syncs.

hisham
New in Town

Postby hisham » September 2nd, 2007 7:47 am

thank you justdave i will try and report the results

:D

justdave
New in Town

Postby justdave » September 4th, 2007 3:30 am

For the record, I just tried this out myself yesterday and today (I was speaking from theory based on how I thought the iPod worked before - actually tried it on mine to make sure yesterday :) ) and it works great.

I'm still working on beginner lessons, so I created a smart playlist with the following criteria:

[match all]
Author contains JapanesePod101.com
Name starts with Beginner
Name does not contain S2

After it generated the list, I noticed the order was a bit scrambled. Sorting on the name didn't work because some of the episodes listed the episode number slightly differently. Then I noticed the Track Number field was filled in with the episode number on *most* of the episodes. There were a couple that were missing this, but it was few enough to do a Get Info on each of them and add it manually. I then sorted the list on the Track Number field.

I then dragged that playlist onto my iPod. The act of dragging that playlist onto the iPod took all of the matching episodes with it, whether I had already listened to them or not. My first normal sync afterwards deleted all of the ones I had already listened to off the iPod.

What this really works good for is the News episodes of course. Been spending the last few days listening to the last year and a half of news to get caught up on what's been going on around here since I'm still a newbie. :) Using the playlist method list this plays them all one right after another, and they still get marked as played in your podcast listing next time you sync (and then deleted off the iPod).

hisham
New in Town

Postby hisham » September 10th, 2007 2:52 am

Dear justdave

you know what ?

you really did helped me

now i can find any lesson much easier

Thank you :wink:

bingo
New in Town

File Sorting response please.....

Postby bingo » October 26th, 2008 10:46 am

thats great, but wouldnt it be easier if they were sorted properly before downloading...

I am having a nightmare trying to sort out files that were downloaded for free and listed as a separate album to files that were downloaded using the Premium feed.
IE there are 2 albums containing 'Intermediate' files

I agree with the first post here that the
Album name allocated should be the lesson level.
and the Artist should be Japanesepod101

Another question is can Itunes recognise that for example, I have downloaded Intermediate lesson 120 in the premium feed, and when I go back to basic subscription (with a different album name), will the basic know that I already have it???
It seems that Itunes has an XML file somewhere that must allocate which folders and albums the files end up in and how they display....

bingo
New in Town

file locations all over the place

Postby bingo » October 27th, 2008 3:27 am

not sure if anyone else has experienced this

so I am moving my Itunes files from one computer to another. I have to do it by importing folders or dragging files across the network. I am not bringing in playlists for reasons not relevant here..

Ok so I have files collected from 'Premium' subscription times, and others downloaded manually by right clicking and 'save as' in windows...

the problem is that not all files are going to the same library in Itunes.

All the manually downloaded files go to the Music library
and most of the mp3s downloaded through 'premium' subscription time go to the Podcast library, although, some of the premium files are ending up in the music library....

this is a real pain in the U know what, when trying to work out which ones i have and which ones I dont...

How can I get all files to locate themselves in the one library at least.... and even better, sorted into lesson types.... preferably all listing in the podcast library

I have tried changing album names, dragging files to the podcast open window??,
there must be some behind the scenes naming convention, tagging, that isnt standardised with files leaving Japanesepod101 that we cant access depending on the way you get your mp3s

Return to “Feature Requests”