a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Japan in a Week

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Javizy
Expert on Something

Japan in a Week

Postby Javizy » February 21st, 2007 10:46 pm

I dunno about anyone else, but reading Japanese sites is way beyond me, yet I'd like some idea of what's "in" and what's "out" over there. When I get the chance to go over there, it'd be good to have some idea of what people are into, pop culture wise.

Things like major stories in the news, fashion trends, music charts, box office charts, sporting events, hit TV shows, new gadgets, even celebrity stuff (who're the big names in Japan?); the kinds of things we hear about every day on the news, online, in magazines, from friends, and so on.

I think it'd offer an interesting insight into the culture, give you some ice-breakers and fillers when meeting Japanese people, and generally be an interesting read. I don't know if such an English-based site exists, but I like the way JPod does things, and if it were possible to feature some sort of weekly/bi-weekly e-zine of this nature I reckon it'd be great, and add a whole new depth to this site (which is so feature-rich already). It could even have an accompanying lesson to take your conversational skills to the contemporary next level :D

Anyway, I'm just throwing this out there - this sort of thing could be very time consuming, and I might be the only one to find it interesting, but y'know :)

Harv
Established Presence

Postby Harv » February 21st, 2007 10:55 pm

I quite like reading 3yen.

These are the kinds of things they cover
- News on Japan
- Travel in Japan

Lifestyle
- Everyday in Japan
- Learn Japanese
- Japanese Food
- Friends, Penpals, Love

Business
- Business in Japan
- Work in Japan
- Teach in Japan
- Japan Legal FAQ

Tech and Gadgets
- Japanese Gadgets
- Keitai/Mobile Phones
- Japanese Video Games

Entertainment
- Japanese Anime
- Japanese Cinema
- Japanese Commercials
- Japanese Fashion
- Japanese Manga
- Japanese Music
- Japanese Wallpapers

The site is usually updated daily so there's plenty to read. It's probably not exactly what your looking for, but its better than nothing.

Get 40% OFF
Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » February 21st, 2007 11:03 pm

Cool, I'll check it out. Probably a bit of a big "feature" to add to this site lol. They said the blog's going to be used in a new way though, so maybe there's a surprise in store.

dmr214
Established Presence

Postby dmr214 » March 4th, 2007 12:37 am

What if Japanesepod101 indexed a lot of those sites and linked to them lesson by lesson. For example, perhaps a lesson can have "Additional Reading" links where the crew points out sites that are revelant to each lesson.

I've been reading through a lot of the requests on this site and there is a lot of amazing idea's floating around. I think this community really cares whats going on here. If implemented / designed correctly Japanesepod101.com could become "The" portal site for Japan for non-Japanese.

That would be truly amazing. Hope they are thinking big!

Return to “Feature Requests”