a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Online DVD Rental

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Online DVD Rental

Postby jkid » November 8th, 2008 5:49 am

I am trying to find a good online dvd rental service in Japan. Any recommendations? Does anyone know of one that offers a version of their in English? I am hoping to find one with a "unlimited" rental plan, I am not sure if they exist here or not.

Thanks in advance.

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » November 8th, 2008 8:54 am

Well, I don't know about English, but a quick searche revealed this site listing an assortment of details/reviews about "the big ones":

http://www.at-r.net/dvd/

So they do exist. I looked at each of the sites and didn't find any English pages, but it's always possible I missed something. From what I understand, things that rely on credit, at least for non-permanent residents, tend to be rigged against gaijin for fear of someone skipping home with unpaid bills. Not saying it isn't possible but from what I've heard success can be and miss. Sorry I can't be of more assistance, but I hope maybe this provides some starting point.
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

Get 40% OFF
jkid

Postby jkid » November 9th, 2008 4:33 am

Thanks for the link Psy-san,
If am reading the site correctly most of the places mentioned have plans for around 1,990yen for 8 DVDs a month, two at a time. Most of the sites not this type of plan as their most popular. However, the other plans that are listed are often only more expensive by about 200 yen and they allow for unlimited rental. Why would somebody not pay the extra ammount to get unlimited rentals when the price difference is so minimal? This leads me to think I may be reading the pricing lists incorrectly.

JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » November 12th, 2008 12:01 am

We use Tsutaya online - but sorry the wife does all the booking as she is more into the movies than me.

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » November 12th, 2008 4:16 am

jkid wrote:Thanks for the link Psy-san,
If am reading the site correctly most of the places mentioned have plans for around 1,990yen for 8 DVDs a month, two at a time. Most of the sites not this type of plan as their most popular. However, the other plans that are listed are often only more expensive by about 200 yen and they allow for unlimited rental. Why would somebody not pay the extra ammount to get unlimited rentals when the price difference is so minimal? This leads me to think I may be reading the pricing lists incorrectly.

I checked out the two plans available for Tsutaya,and they both seem seem pretty reasonable. The A plan allows you to rent up to 8 discs a month for the monthly fee of JPY 1,974, and gives you access to a priority waiting list to where as soon as you've returned your discs, the following ones on your list will be shipped automatically. The M plan, slightly more expensive, allows you to rent as many discs as you want in a month for JPY 2,079, the caveat being you will not have access to a waiting list and will be stuck with what's in-stock at the time. Additionally, you will only be able to select what you want next after they have received your return shipment. Both plans limit you to 2 discs at any one time.

Personally, I'd go for 人気No. 1 plan A. 8)
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

jkid

Postby jkid » November 15th, 2008 6:01 am

Thanks Psy.

I am making the assumption that all these companies require credit cards. The first two I checked do. Which is unfortunate because I don't have a Japanese credit card and I don't want to pay in anything other than Japanese yen given the exchange rates right now.

For anyone thinking about signing up it seems like this internet rental is signifigantly cheaper than in store, at least in the case of Tsutaya where it is 390 yen for a weekly rental.

Return to “Japanese Food & Entertainment”