a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Edinburgh

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Solvi
Established Presence

Edinburgh

Postby Solvi » June 13th, 2006 9:23 am

Does anybody know about any Japanese stores in Edinburgh? I'm looking for a place where they sell manga in Japanese, J-pop records, anything really...

Also, I've heard about a club called Yo! Below, is it worth checking out?

EDIT:
We could't find Yo! Below where the tourist guide said it was... Does it still exist? It's in the basement of Yo! Sushi, which we could't find either.
Last edited by Solvi on June 13th, 2006 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JockZon
Expert on Something

Postby JockZon » June 13th, 2006 10:48 am

Hej Sölvi... Har inget svar på frågan men vill ändå säga HEJ! 8)

Get 40% OFF
Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » June 13th, 2006 1:04 pm

If you can't find any "brick and mortar" stores, Nippon-export.com ships internationally and has a nice selection of stuff. The downside is that they ship straight out of Japan, so shipping is a bit expensive.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

lulu_chan
Been Around a Bit

Re: Edinburgh

Postby lulu_chan » October 9th, 2006 7:50 pm

Solvi wrote:Does anybody know about any Japanese stores in Edinburgh? I'm looking for a place where they sell manga in Japanese, J-pop records, anything really...

hey Solvi...I saw "edinburgh" and screamed. (i am heading home to scotland for a month, in two weeks). I can ask pals what is about.
also, you may want to see about Glasgow..it's a bit more "artsy" and "downtown" (it's also where i stay, when i go home). I think you may find stores there.

I can check around for you. I'll ask my cousin..he would DEFINITELY know this stuff, if someone has not already answered you. ^^;;

Solvi
Established Presence

Postby Solvi » October 9th, 2006 8:04 pm

lulu_cha, thaks a lot, but I was i Ediburgh o vacatio this summer, so the help comes a bit late :(

Ah, btw, guess which key o my keyboard has suddely stopped workig... Strage!

Solvi
Established Presence

Postby Solvi » October 9th, 2006 8:06 pm

It's workig all other places, just ot i this reply. Strage ideed. Ay clues? Aybody? This is a bit scary...

lulu_chan
Been Around a Bit

Postby lulu_chan » October 9th, 2006 8:47 pm

Solvi wrote:lulu_cha, thaks a lot, but I was i Ediburgh o vacatio this summer, so the help comes a bit late :(

Ah, btw, guess which key o my keyboard has suddely stopped workig... Strage!

do you have a wireless keyboard? I know my keyboard acts up when the rechargeable battery starts to die.

Sorry i was too late to reply. I didn't check the date on the reply. ^^;; hmm...methinks i should do that. I just saw "edinburgh" and swarmed to the post. ^___~

morochan
New in Town

Postby morochan » January 9th, 2007 10:28 pm

You're in luck, I live in Edinburgh and I love anything to do with Japan so I know a few places.
There is a shop called forbbiden planet near the south bridge (city center) and they have the largest selection of manga/anime in Edinburgh, but personally I think that their things are a bit expensive so I perfer to go to Blackwells - a large bookshop - to buy my manga. Other book shops have a small selection of manga too eg, Borders and Waterston.
You can also check the local libaries, they have a growing selction of manga too.

Yo! the sushibar in Edinburgh closed down along time ago but the food there was lovely, shame it isn't there now because it was a great place.

lulu_chan
Been Around a Bit

Postby lulu_chan » January 10th, 2007 12:27 am

i know where you are talking about!! ^___^ ahhhh....i will be back home in March. My friend Fumi and her hubby Yoshi run all the Japanese events in Glasgow. There is the ...i think it's called the "hanamori" or something like that Festival on March 3rd. You should go! it will be fun!

Also, i am sure you have heard of Nagata playing for Rangers. So, hopefully that will increase the Japanese tourism to Scotland.

Are you a student at the Uni? I will ask Fumi the details about the Festival on March 3rd. It will definitely be a great chance to meet the FEW japanese living in Scotland. heh-heh oh, she also teaches Japanese FREE on saturdays, somewhere in Glasgow. Ithink she does it at the cafe that is next MacIntosh's house in the old church. I wanted to go check out the class when i was last there, but i did not have time.

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » January 10th, 2007 3:30 am

the festival on March 3rd is Hinamatsuri... literally "Doll Festival" but also referred to as Girl's Day. Check out this description... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinamatsuri[/quote]

lulu_chan
Been Around a Bit

Postby lulu_chan » January 11th, 2007 1:52 am

ahh yes! that's it! thanks so much ANnie-chan. I am going back to Glasgow just in time to be a part of it! I am really excited about it.

Return to “Japanese Food & Entertainment”