a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

How to congratulate a grand opening

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

MattTheCat
Been Around a Bit

How to congratulate a grand opening

Postby MattTheCat » June 18th, 2007 3:19 pm

A new sushi restaurant is opening in my town today, and I want to congratulate them on their grand opening.

開店におめでとうございます!

Would that work? Is there a better way to say it?

MattTheCat
Been Around a Bit

Postby MattTheCat » June 19th, 2007 1:46 am

Well, I already went, used the above phrase, and they seemed to catch my meaning and were appreciative. I started talking to the sushi-ya, and now we're all buddy-buddy. He's actually Korean, with a Japanese wife (she owns the restaurant). Upon hearing my mediocre Japanese, he got a big grin and immediately told all the serving girls to only speak to me in Japanese.

The food is excellent. The sashimi is just ok, but he says that they are expecting their fresh shipment tomorrow. The cooked-seafood and non-seafood sushi is really tasty, and the tempura is amazing. He gave me a few free pieces to see my reaction, and seemed really pleased by my "oishii" reaction. The wasabi isn't really wasabi, but once he found out that I could tell the difference he gave me some extra ginger to make up for it. I asked if they had toro and he said no, not until tomorrow. Then he said if I came in tomorrow, he'd give me a couple of free pieces of toro nigiri to make up for them not having any today.

Overall, this is the best sushi-ya experience I've ever had. The service was phenomenal, they really tried to make me feel welcome. Their encouragement of my usage of Japanese was nice, too. Plus, this establishment is only one block from my workplace, so I'll probably be frequenting them at least twice a week.

Grand total spent there today: $42.75, and that was with their 20% off grand opening special.

お腹が一杯!

Get 40% OFF
shungen
Been Around a Bit

Postby shungen » August 24th, 2007 12:02 pm

can u tell me where the Sushi-ya is?

Return to “Japanese Food & Entertainment”