a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Best and Worst Food of Tokyo

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

gamblerumble
New in Town

Best and Worst Food of Tokyo

Postby gamblerumble » June 11th, 2007 2:59 pm

I just got back from my first trip to Tokyo, and wanted to talk about the food I had, mainly to clear up some confusion.

Bad news first: the worst food I had was in Shinjuku, at a basement restaurant. We got a set meal, that came with 5 types of yakitori, in addition to other small dishes. The first piece was good, but the second was absolutely disgusting. It was pieces of chicken separated by cartilage! Are you supposed to eat the cartilage? because it was essentially unchewable for me.

On the other hand, we had an incredible meal at a small restaurant in asakusa, near the Ginza line station. For 1500 yen each, we were served a big 7 course meal, including tempura, nigiri, lightly fried tofu blocks, miso soup, rice, and some little yellow and green stars. Not really sure what was with the stars, but they didn't really have much taste anyways.

Finally, though it wasn't Japanese, a restaurant near Tokyo station called "Ren Ren Ren" served a dish called "Ma Pow Tofu". Incredible. If you ever get the opportunity, and you like spicy chinese dishes, you have to give this a shot.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » June 11th, 2007 11:53 pm

Hmm, worse Japanese food? Has got to be nattou for me.

Get 40% OFF
Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Re: Best and Worst Food of Tokyo

Postby Ulver_684 » June 13th, 2007 11:10 pm

gamblerumble wrote:I just got back from my first trip to Tokyo, and wanted to talk about the food I had, mainly to clear up some confusion.

Bad news first: the worst food I had was in Shinjuku, at a basement restaurant. We got a set meal, that came with 5 types of yakitori, in addition to other small dishes. The first piece was good, but the second was absolutely disgusting. It was pieces of chicken separated by cartilage! Are you supposed to eat the cartilage? because it was essentially unchewable for me.

On the other hand, we had an incredible meal at a small restaurant in asakusa, near the Ginza line station. For 1500 yen each, we were served a big 7 course meal, including tempura, nigiri, lightly fried tofu blocks, miso soup, rice, and some little yellow and green stars. Not really sure what was with the stars, but they didn't really have much taste anyways.

Finally, though it wasn't Japanese, a restaurant near Tokyo station called "Ren Ren Ren" served a dish called "Ma Pow Tofu". Incredible. If you ever get the opportunity, and you like spicy chinese dishes, you have to give this a shot.

Gamblerumble-san! :wink:

I don't think there's such worst Japanese food, I like all Japanese dishes!! 8) :wink:

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » June 14th, 2007 6:36 am

The spicy chinese dish is マーボー豆腐 (mabo dofu), sometimes written in kanji (麻婆). It's a great one, and easy to make if you buy the packaged sauce all you need to add is tofu... hmm, maybe i'll have that for dinner.

Don't laugh, but I probably the food I eat most often in restaurants in Japan is Indian curry.

westtima
New in Town

Postby westtima » June 14th, 2007 4:16 pm

I think for me at least the worst is Nato. The kids love it but I have to finish my meal and get away quick while they are eating it. :D Followed by a close second is... not sure what it is called but it is Sushi and it is like a small bunch of green grapes on some rice, it tastes like pickles but the texture....! I couldn't take it. :shock:

The best? This would have to be Yakiniku.

padrik
Established Presence

Postby padrik » June 15th, 2007 11:32 pm

I like it all, even natto... Funny lots of peoples favorite food in Tokyo is not Japanese, yakiniku(korean) and Mabo tofu(chinese) but I must agree, the are awesome heh, and not very available in the US or elsewhere in western countries.

In Tokyo the Best food is Japanese(korean,chinese), the worst is Western :lol:

Bah now I am hungry, Japanese food for dinner I guess...

takonoma
New in Town

Bread as dessert?

Postby takonoma » April 27th, 2008 12:08 pm

After two years of looking at them with suspicion, I finally gave in and tried the ubiquitous
ichigo-sando, that is, a white-bread sandwich of strawberries and whipped cream (and maybe even a little custard). It was...interesting.

I also have passed by a shop in Ueno that sells rather odd desserts. Can you picture half a loaf of bread, end-up on a plate, with two scoops of icecream, whipped cream, sliced banana, and chocolate sauce all plopped on top? Where does one even begin? Would you use a spoon, a knife and fork, or what?

Should I work up the courage to tackle this tower of carbohydrates?

JonB
Expert on Something

without a doubt the worse food in Japan

Postby JonB » April 28th, 2008 2:06 am

is the sandwiches in the combini!

Already mentioned is the strawberries and cream - also I have seen other fruit like kiwi and peach. yakisoba sandwiches and spagetti bolognese sando!

Nearly every other sanwich comes with egg in it...

Best food - too many to mention!

Fedgrub
Expert on Something

Re: Best and Worst Food of Tokyo

Postby Fedgrub » May 3rd, 2008 2:39 am

gamblerumble wrote:I just got back from my first trip to Tokyo, and wanted to talk about the food I had, mainly to clear up some confusion.

It is quite normal to eat the cartilage, however I noticed that many tourists did not.

A place I really enjoyed in Shinjuku was www.sangokuichi.co.jp Tasty meals, good service, nice layout. Nothing super flash, but it was good enough to eat at 4 times. Once, we had two dinners there in the same night. A place I did not like was in Hiroshima station, I cant remember the exact name but the curry sauce was way too strong.

atomsk
Site Admin

Postby atomsk » May 4th, 2008 10:30 pm

I havent found a decent Pizza in Tokyo. So worst food in Tokyo for me is Pizza.

Best though is hard to decide. I ate so much good food in Tokyo!!

JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » May 7th, 2008 12:57 am

atomsk wrote:I havent found a decent Pizza in Tokyo. So worst food in Tokyo for me is Pizza.

I think the best pizza's I have ever eaten are in Tokyo - I am assuming you are American as that style of pizza is not big here but it can be found.

There is even a Japanese guy who won the piza making competition in Italy a few years back but I forget the name of his restaurant - he used to be at Salvatore in shimbashi I believe but now somewhere in ometesando

Fedgrub
Expert on Something

Postby Fedgrub » May 7th, 2008 2:40 am

atomsk wrote:I havent found a decent Pizza in Tokyo. So worst food in Tokyo for me is Pizza.

Do they have a Shakeys Pizza in Tokyo? Because that is good pizza. Not oustanding, but I was happy with it in Hiroshima.

atomsk
Site Admin

Postby atomsk » May 7th, 2008 9:14 am

JonB wrote:I think the best pizza's I have ever eaten are in Tokyo - I am assuming you are American as that style of pizza is not big here but it can be found.

There is even a Japanese guy who won the piza making competition in Italy a few years back but I forget the name of his restaurant - he used to be at Salvatore in shimbashi I believe but now somewhere in ometesando

I got the best pizza i ever had in Florence, Italy. Maybe I just had bad luck in Tokyo, because I tried 2 italian restaurants there and didnt get a good pizza. And since they were both very similar i gave up on finding good Pizza in Tokyo ^^ Im from Germany btw.

JonB
Expert on Something

definitely out there!

Postby JonB » May 8th, 2008 1:25 am

Japanese chef named best pizza maker again

Pizzeria Zazza I have a feeling he has moved though

Happy Pizza hunting!

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby jkid » May 31st, 2008 11:42 am

Outback Steakhouse: http://www.outbacksteakhouse.co.jp/en/menu/index.html

Wow, the food is so good.