Or sign up using Facebook

Teppanyaki Restuarant food fight ??

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

ShiroiNeko
Established Presence

Teppanyaki Restuarant food fight ??

Postby ShiroiNeko » May 31st, 2007 8:28 am

From Australia ....

Yesterday, a group of our managers went to a teppanyaki restaurant. My friend was at the dinner, and he told me about their dining "experience" today, and showed the photographs. :shock:

They were all given large white paper bibs to wear, and the Japanese chefs drew bullseye targets on them with black pen. The food was cooked at the table, and then thown at them, and they had to try to catch it their mouths !! Any food that fell on the floor was cleaned up at once. Bowls and other plates ( some empty, some full ) were also thrown across the room.

The prawns were easier to catch than the rice, which often got in their hair. My friend was "attacked" with a fried egg. Also on the menu was other seafood, beef bits, and chicken. Much sake was also consumed, and they all ( eventually ) had enough to eat.

I thought Japanese dining was an elegant and dignified experience, and had never heard of this sort of dining chaos before .( Iron chef, it was *not* !! )

Are there any restuarants in Japan that do this sort of thing, or is just something that is done to poke fun at non-Japanese, who don't know any better ??

padrik
Established Presence

Postby padrik » May 31st, 2007 11:37 pm

I have never seen or heard of that happening in Japan. Although I have seen far more teppanyaki restaurants outide of Japan, than in country, and most run by non-Japanese, usually Chinese or Korean owners/chefs not restricted by the traditional Japanese "rules".

Japanese dining is very civil, so something like that may be reserved for a private party, where other customers couldn't see or hear whats happening.

Get 40% OFF
JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » June 1st, 2007 2:35 am

definitely not the way it is done here! Sounds like some sort of TV game - are you sure there were no TV crews lurking?

ShiroiNeko
Established Presence

Postby ShiroiNeko » June 1st, 2007 7:20 am

JonB wrote:definitely not the way it is done here! Sounds like some sort of TV game - are you sure there were no TV crews lurking?

There were no TV crews.

People at other tables were getting the same sort of treatment. Several people I spoke to today had also heard of this place, and this strange sort of food throwing.

Return to “Japanese Food & Entertainment”