Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Pride Fighting Championship - Ring Announcer talent!

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

erawanet
Been Around a Bit

Pride Fighting Championship - Ring Announcer talent!

Postby erawanet » March 22nd, 2007 3:22 am

When I get the chance, that is, when they can be bothered to show it here on cable TV in Thailand, I love to watch the Pride Fighting Champtionship, http://www.pridefc.com. If you are not familiar with this, it is mixed martial arts, and has a range of fighters from around the world. It is the big rival to the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) in the USA. However, I beleive Pride is far better for a whole host of reasons. One is the huge arenas in Japan that are full to the brim with fans, places like the Tokyo Dome etc. The production and intros etc are amazing!

However, there are a couple of things, related to Japanese language that I love.

The ring annoucer and the arena annoucer. The ring announcer is a Japanese guy, he has a distinguished voice, sort of Japan's answer to Micheal Buffer but cooler.

However, the show stopper is the arena announcer! You do not see this lady but her voice is incredible, both in English and Japanese. She has a unique style, she is either a native Japanese that has been in the US for many years or the other way round. I am sure she would be an unbeleivable catch for JP 101 (maybe Pride pays better). Does anyone know who this lady is, or at least, has heard her?
--
Andy Roberts

NickT
Expert on Something

Postby NickT » March 24th, 2007 3:57 pm

I love Pride FC, and UFC too, but Pride FC is better.

When I was in Japan a few years ago, I went to a Pride FC in Osaka Dome, which was cool. It was one of the middleweight grand prix events, I can't remember which number off the top of my head.

I know the lady you are talking about, she has an amazing voice but can be a bit over the top sometimes. If you want to see her, she appears on stage in the two recent Pride events that were held in America. She does a lot of the announcing from the centre of the stage in English, on camera. She is a middle aged white woman - not entirely what I expected. You wouldn't think that voice would come out of such an average looking person.

Get 40% OFF
erawanet
Been Around a Bit

Postby erawanet » March 26th, 2007 3:45 am

Thanks Nick!

I thought she might be some cute Japanese girl, from the sound of her voice!

Sometimes the most angelic voice eminates from rather average looking people, I guess that is the beauty of podcasting, and indeed radio.

I am really struggling to get coverage of Pride (and UFC), there is a Sports Action channel there on our cable network here in Thailand which does cover a lot of fighting but they seem to have dropped coverage of Pride, UFC and King of the Cage. I think they are trying to save cost!
--
Andy Roberts

Return to “Japanese Food & Entertainment”