Or sign up using Facebook

Places to see in Tokyo for an American Otaku

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

dlai
Been Around a Bit

Places to see in Tokyo for an American Otaku

Postby dlai » August 8th, 2006 7:59 pm

Hello All,

I'm planning to goto Tokyo some time between December and March. I would like to hear what everyone thinks are must see in Tokyo for someone who's really into Anime and Samurai films.

Thanks,
Dave

irishsf27
New in Town

hello

Postby irishsf27 » August 24th, 2006 2:42 pm

Well there was no reply so I thought I would put in my two cents. I've never been to Japan (yet!), but here are some things that I've been reviewing.

First for the Hardcore Otaku, you might think about getting one of these Moe walking around tokyo guidebooks. It has cosplay, anime, CD/DVD, manga bookstores located throughout tokyo. New ones come out around the last day of January each year. You probably can find it once you get to tokyo?? (not sure). It would be about $10. Warning: that it is all in Japanese (with lots of pictures, maps,etc).
Here is a picture of the 2006 edition: http://kitchen.cside.com/kazakami/rurubu2/

Anime/manga fans. I think most of the major anime studios have museums. I know Bandai has one (and its on the Yamanote line). So you might do a little research and find other ones...
http://www.bandai-museum.jp/

Samurai. Well not so much samurai movies as Japanese History. The Sword Museum, near Yoyogi Kouen in Shibuya-ku would have to be a necessity. I'm not sure if there is any museums for Akira Kurosawa in Tokyo. Most of the projects that I've read about are going to be in Imari-shi Saga Prefecture on Kyuushuu

スティーブン2112

Get 40% OFF
Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » August 25th, 2006 2:50 am

I'm not sure about Tokyo, but if you can get to Kansai then you might consider these:

You can have your photo taken as a samurai at the museum outside Himeji castle.

There's also the Iga Ueno Ninja Museum, outside the Osaka/Nara area. I've not been there, but I've heard it's popular with otaku. Supposedly quite kitshy though.

You should try to get to Kansai just for Kyoto and Nara anyway.

joeBlow
New in Town

Postby joeBlow » August 27th, 2006 11:53 am

I'd suggest getting off the Yamanote line at Harajuku to see the cosplay people then walk down to Omotesando, there's lots more cosplay there too.

It's a 20ish minute walk down to Shibuya from Harajuku so I'd suggest doing that. There are plenty of video/CD shops there. In Shibuya I'd say go to a mangakissa if you can read some Japanese. It's an interesting experience.

Of course there's always akihabara. It's nowhere near as cool after the clean-up last year but there are still lots of interesting little shops. If you're interested in the "maid" thing you can find (at least 4 that I've seen) caffes and a maid foot massage place. If you're really into the maid thing one of the places also has a photo studio you can rent out to take photos of the maids (nothing too naughty) in their costumes.

CrazySwayzee
Been Around a Bit

Postby CrazySwayzee » August 29th, 2006 1:34 am

2 words: Ghibli Museum 8)

dlai
Been Around a Bit

Postby dlai » August 29th, 2006 1:50 am

Thanks guys. All excellent suggestions and definately stuff I'm interested in.

I don't know if I'll have time to do all the stuff in like 2 weeks, but keep the suggestions coming. I haven't even set foot in Japan yet and I'm already thinking about doing a 2nd trip. I'm guessing I'll probably do a 2 week Tokyo trip the first time around, then explore more scenic side the next time around.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » August 29th, 2006 4:14 am

dlai wrote:Thanks guys. All excellent suggestions and definately stuff I'm interested in.

I don't know if I'll have time to do all the stuff in like 2 weeks, but keep the suggestions coming. I haven't even set foot in Japan yet and I'm already thinking about doing a 2nd trip. I'm guessing I'll probably do a 2 week Tokyo trip the first time around, then explore more scenic side the next time around.

Don't do two weeks in Tokyo. One week, MAX. MAX. And that's if you're Tokyo-crazy.

Get out to Kyoto and Nara. Maybe even Hiroshima. They're only a few hours away by shinkansen, and non-residents can pick up JR Passes that really make it worthwhile.

WCR91
Established Presence

Postby WCR91 » September 8th, 2006 5:38 pm

Hmm. I've never been to Japan, but here are my suggestions for Tokyo:

-Shibuya. Just walk around. You can do some shopping if you like.
-Akihabara. This place seems pretty interesting. a "discount electronics district"? Too interesting to be passed by.
-Ginza. Interesting district, nice shops and bars, and pretty stunning lights displays, if you're into that sort of thing.

And lastly....

...Kabuki-cho. Just because it's fun to visit a notorious place. :D

ANDS!
New in Town

Postby ANDS! » September 12th, 2006 6:56 pm

I will echo Buellers sentiments. Do NOT spend two weeks in Tokyo. There is alot to see, but wasting a trip to Japan and JUST going to Tokyo is criminal. Tokyo while being in Japan, is not JAPAN. Its the cool place IN Japan, but it is heavily influenced by western culture. You will become aware of that when you pass McDonalds on the same block, as well as a Denny's - with its own jumbotron.

A Tokyo/Kyoto combo trip is VERY doable, especially if you plan well in advance the places you want to hit, as well as the events you are interested in. Im heading down there for Xmas as well, and pretty much know what I will be doing. One of the worst things to happen to folks (and I saw alot of it) was that they expected to go to Japan, and just fall into "adventure".

As far as the Cosplay/Harajuku is concerned be aware of two things:

1.) Its not as prevelant as you think.

2.) People do NOT like their pictures taken w/o some cursory verbal contact.

Having said all that - TOKYO is certainly a GREAT city, but one you can get overloaded on very quickly. The place "smells" (granted its the tasty smell of outdoor cooking, but the smell is unmistakeable), its quite crowded (Shinjuku station is hopeless, if you dont mind walking, just get off at a closer stop), it can be quite expensive (and quite cheap if you have a good eye), and using the subway system is a must. But, the place is great. Anyone whos been no doubt has tons of stories about their time their and what to do/not do. Eventually you will too.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » September 13th, 2006 11:07 am

ANDS! wrote:The place "smells".

Personally, I've not noticed the Tokyo smell.

Nevertheless, not my favorite Japanese city.

Four days is more than enough time in Tokyo. Get in and get out.

arancarlisle
Been Around a Bit

Postby arancarlisle » October 5th, 2006 4:03 pm

It all depends on what you want to see when you go to Japan. If you are looking for a crazy urban jungle, then spend some time in Tokyo. It is a city unique in the world, and even in two weeks you will just barely scratch the surface. However, as a tourist, you will probably max out after about 4-5 days. Kyoto is much more pleasant from a tourist's perspective.

THE place to go if you are into things like Anime and Manga is Akihabara in Tokyo, which in recent years has become Japan's capital of Otaku culture. Yodobashi Camera is without a doubt the most amazing electronics store I have ever been in.

In general, Tokyo is ALL about amazing shopping centers and department stores. It is about going to a place like Ikebukuro and spending a day getting lost in one of the world's largest department stores and eating lunch in a basement food hall. Or you could easily spend a day in the suburb of Funabashi at the Lalaport shopping mall. Doing this, you will find out much more about modern Japanese culture than you will by going to a place like Himeji Castle.

When I recently went, I did spend a week in the Kansai area going to famous temples in Kyoto and Nara and also I did visit Himeji Castle. Kyoto and Nara are very worthwhile visits, especially if you brush up on Buddhism and Shintoism beforehand. Also, if you are interested in urban jungles, then Osaka is a very interesting place as well. Two weeks can be enough to do all these things.

Feik
New in Town

Postby Feik » February 4th, 2007 9:14 pm

For any Otaku there is always one key shop you must visit. Mandarake.

They have a big store in Shibuya (past Starbucks, left of the police box).

And the best of All, Nakano Broadway. It has about 10 Mandarake stores, and several
independant Otaku style stores.

Return to “Visiting Japan”